AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Help Me to choose a Match Type in Google Keyword Tool?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys

I'm New bee to Google adwords, now i planned to start my first adwords campaign for my website, but i stuck up with choosing keywords. I have some doubts regarding choosing the Match type(Broad, Exact, Phrase) for my keywords. In this three match type which one should i choose during my keyword selection. 

For my keyword Travel Domain Registration google keyword tool displayed the below details

Global monthly searches    Local Monthly searche     Approximate CPC                

Broad                 140                                   140                            207.12

Exact                  22                                     22                            134.86

Phrase                22                                     22                             131.06

From the above details CPC for Corresponding match type is also varied, So which match type should i be choosing for my adwords campaign for a better ROI  

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Help Me to choose a Match Type in Google Keyword Tool?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I suggest to keep in mind the maximum cost-per-click you want to pay. So, you can add all keywords you think may be pertinent with your campaign, with your selected CPC. Then you'll see results and you'll delete all keywords not generating enough traffic (or too expensive to be maintained).

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello mareeswarang,

You don't necessarily have to select one match type when including the keywords within your ad groups. Many advertisers will include all three match types when initially building a campaign so that they can compare performance statistics at a later date. Everyone has different marketing goals however and you mentioned that you are after a good ROI so I would recommend just including phrase and exact match types to begin with for a more targeted approach, you can always broaden out your reach as things progress by including broad match keywords.

Regards,

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Guys,

1. Traffic stats are not pertinent to the question of matching option(s) you should or should not select.

2. Various match types of the same keyword have the same Quality Score hence the actual CPC you pay only depends on the bids you set. Matching option is not a factor in this respect.

3. Beaking out multiple embedded match type(s) of the same keyword is a pretty good idea for various reasons. I'd note that it was almost mandatory in the years when Google did not provide the extensive Search Term reports you can pull nowadays.

4. IMHO, none of the above seems decisive regarding match type selection.

KYC = Know Your Customers

What you should consider is how your own customers are likely to behave on the net.

(a) If you run an online vehicle parts and accessories business it's pretty probable that prospects know the exact name of the vehicle part they are after. Hence e.g. the keyword FEL PRO CARBURETOR MOUNTING GASKET can be used as exact match. That's because prospects are pre-determined, knowledegable and the language that describes the products is precise. (A gasket is gasket.)

(b) In sharp contrast if you run a social site users may come from various angles. There is likely an unlimited number of  situations that may prompt users to check out your web property and consider signing up. The typical prospect is undecided and by far not knowledgeable while the language describing usual motivations is vague and rich in synonims. I'd use broad match keywords, at least for a good while.

(c) Most cases are of course borderline and there is phrase match in the middle. You should consider very thoroughly which match type to choose.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

every type have their own special use.
you should remember

1 the purpose:traffic or conversation

2 budget

3 customer behavior

4 products itself

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi mareeswarang,

If your keyword is "Travel Domain Registration" and you want to attract people searching for that, I would suggest skipping broad match, as it will probably bring in a lot of clicks that could have just been searching for "travel", not registering a travel domain.

I would use phrase, exact and modified broad match:

"Travel Domain Registration" - Phrase
[Travel Domain Registration] - Exact
+Travel +Domain +Registration - Modified Broad

I'd recommend taking a look at the following page:

Using keyword matching options
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Give it a try and tell us how it goes. Cheers!