AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Help Me Understand Ad Group Match Type Wise

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Folks,

I am trying to understand one thing. Adwords says that only one keyword, in a set of keywords in an ad group,  would trigger an ad.

1)- Many people suggest that we should create ad groups/campaigns on the basis of match type. Why so?

2)- I have created 3 ad groups-  Exact Match keyword, Phrase Match  and BMM Match

I mean 3 ad groups:

KWs  [maths teacher in Sydney]

[math teacher in Sydney]

[best math teacher in Sydney]

Phrase Ad Group- KWs 

"maths teacher in Sydney"

"maths teacher in Sydney"

BMM Ad Group-KWs 

+maths +teacher in +Sydney   

+math +teacher in +Sydney

Now, I have used exact match keywords for negative keywords in Phrase match ad group (ad group level wise) and vice versa.

Here, I see "Keywords are conflicting and not showing ads" like message. Why is it so?

3)- Also, what should be the -ve keywords should be like for BMM ad group?

Help,

Regards,

Help Me Understand Ad Group Match Type Wise

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi NCC

Match types can get a little difficult to explain through a message but I will try my best -

1. You can ALSO create ad groups/campaigns based on match types for better tracking but I make campaigns based on a particular service/product and then have ad groups in it based on different match types.

2. Exact match keywords -

[maths teacher in Sydney]

[math teacher in Sydney]

These two are same as - Singular, plural, mis-spelling is taken care of by Adwords itself and these are known as 'closed variation'.

So out of the two you can just include - [maths teacher in Sydney]

Similarly, in phrase match as well.

Broad match also includes these closed variations and it also includes synonyms.

To avoid conflict you can assign a different bid value to each match type, keep the highest for Exact, then phrase and then broad.

3. About negative keywords - identify words against which you wouldn't want to trigger your ad and then add those at the campaign level or ad group level.