Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Help Me Understand Ad Group Match Type Wise

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Folks,

I am trying to understand one thing. Adwords says that only one keyword, in a set of keywords in an ad group,  would trigger an ad.

1)- Many people suggest that we should create ad groups/campaigns on the basis of match type. Why so?

2)- I have created 3 ad groups-  Exact Match keyword, Phrase Match  and BMM Match

I mean 3 ad groups:

KWs  [maths teacher in Sydney]

[math teacher in Sydney]

[best math teacher in Sydney]

Phrase Ad Group- KWs 

"maths teacher in Sydney"

"maths teacher in Sydney"

BMM Ad Group-KWs 

+maths +teacher in +Sydney   

+math +teacher in +Sydney

Now, I have used exact match keywords for negative keywords in Phrase match ad group (ad group level wise) and vice versa.

Here, I see "Keywords are conflicting and not showing ads" like message. Why is it so?

3)- Also, what should be the -ve keywords should be like for BMM ad group?

Help,

Regards,

Help Me Understand Ad Group Match Type Wise

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi NCC

Match types can get a little difficult to explain through a message but I will try my best -

1. You can ALSO create ad groups/campaigns based on match types for better tracking but I make campaigns based on a particular service/product and then have ad groups in it based on different match types.

2. Exact match keywords -

[maths teacher in Sydney]

[math teacher in Sydney]

These two are same as - Singular, plural, mis-spelling is taken care of by Adwords itself and these are known as 'closed variation'.

So out of the two you can just include - [maths teacher in Sydney]

Similarly, in phrase match as well.

Broad match also includes these closed variations and it also includes synonyms.

To avoid conflict you can assign a different bid value to each match type, keep the highest for Exact, then phrase and then broad.

3. About negative keywords - identify words against which you wouldn't want to trigger your ad and then add those at the campaign level or ad group level.