4.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Having terrible problems with image ad creator

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The image ad creator is terribly glitchy and slow. Every time I create and save an image ad, I can't preview it. The images are missing. This seems to be a problem with Google Chrome, of all browsers. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Having terrible problems with image ad creator

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

I just tested it and I didn't see any problems.

Have you tried clearing your browser's cache and cookies and rebooting your computer?

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, tried that. And tried changing internet connection. It works a little better in Safari, though still not 100%. The preview is the main issue. In Chrome it doesn't display the image, only the overlay text. In Safari it displays the full ad, though not always.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Did you find any solution? I have similar problems since a long period of time. I tried everything: different browsers, different computers (even super fast Chromebook), different internet settings, nothing helps. Last month I contacted Google about this issue but we didn't come any further then clearing the cache.

I did some investigation with colleagues in my industry. What I've found out that when you do a simple setup, there aren't many issues. But when you want to use the tool to the max (like I would love to!!) then browser keeps crashing.

For example, I want a separate adgroup per ad-size. Then I want to pick the design for the banner myself, different designs for each size and at least 2 variations per size. That is exactly what's not possible because then you ask too much from the tool. It seems like it isn't designed for power users. And I refuse to make a strategy based on a simple set-up with all banner sizes in one adgroup....

So....my question is: did anybody manage it to make a size-based setup, without major issues with the tool?

And if so: could you manage it to make the campaign profitable?

If so: I seriously would like to get in touch to find out what I am doing wrong Smiley Happy

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Linda,

That sounds really frustrating. I would consider downloading all the sizes into one ad group. Then download the campaign into AdWords editor and rearrange the ads into the different ad groups that you would like them in. It wouldn't allow you to do different designs for each size, though, and some of the skyscraper ads HAVE to be custom designed or they just look bad. (The same image doesn't usually fit a rectangle and a square layout perfectly) You could download all of your squares, then download all of your skyscrapers, then download all of your leaderboards, though.

Otherwise, you'd need to use the tool to do separate ad groups, one at a time, which is really time consuming but still possible. So you'd have to go into one ad group - make the ads you want and select the sizes and save it. Once you save, you'll be taken back to the normal UI, you'll have to go into the next ad group, navigate back into the image tool and do the same.

Hope this helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Amy,

Thank you so much for your reply, it is nice to find out somebody understands what I want to achieve ;-) Somehow people don't seem to understand why I want to have different ad groups per size. But in my opinion this is basic knowledge of display: the same bid for both a 468x60 and a 300x250 just doesn't make sense to me.

Your solution sounds worth trying and experimenting with, don't know why I did not think of that myself ;-) Sometimes the solution is nearby.....

Still hope that Google will update the tool to make this more user-friendly in the UI so that it is easier to test across various designs. Or even better: to upload your own template design per size Smiley Happy

Thanks again Amy!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Happy to chime in!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Google Chrome is also having a hard time when generating banner previews Smiley Sad Often it crashes the browser.

Community Manager
# 9
Community Manager
This 2014 thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

You may of course reference this older thread in your new post, if you wish.

Thank you.
This aaaa thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

You may of course reference this older thread in your new post, if you wish.

Thank you.