AdWords
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Have you ever scored a 10/10 quality score?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm intrigued by the notion of perfecting the ad / landing page model to try to nail a 10/10 quality score. Have any of you ever achieved a 10/10? If yes, do you have a sample landing page + copy you'd be willing to share to showcase?

Cheers,

Michal

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Have you ever scored a 10/10 quality score?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Michael,
While I admire your urge to improve performance and get a 10/10 all round (wouldn't we all?), I'm afraid it's not a simple matter of landing page and copy that influences quality score.

For a start, the main factor in QS by FAR is CTR. Your CTR "score" as it's measured for QS is a relative score based on the CTR of your competitors and your position. I'd seriously consider investing some time in studying this : http://services.google.com/fh/files/misc/settling-the-quality-score-whitepaper-final.pdf

This is why brand terms usually have a much higher quality score.

The landing page portion of the QS total is also not as it may seem. Landing page relevance is a pass/fail check, not a 1-10 score check. It's all in the document above.

So, with that said, to answer your question, if you had a 10/10 quality score for a KEYWORD (remember, it's a KEYWORD based "metric") and landing page combo and I copied it into my account for a slightly different but related keyword, it could have a completely different and worse score.

If it was as easy as crafting the perfect landing page for quality score, we'd see a pretty lucrative market in sales of those landing pages!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi again Michal,

10/10 QS is funny enough not a mythical unobtainable beast, in fact some of my accounts have a lot of keywords with a 10/10 QS.

10 QS.PNG

What you will tend to find is that your 10/10 Keywords are usually brand terms or very niche terms (not always the case but in general). The reason being is that these keywords will often have 30/40/50/60% CTR which heavily influences the QS factor. While Google does account for various factors such as landing page experience/ ad relevance/ CTR in the QS calculation. If you are able to achieve a CTR such as that above, where all other advertisers are achiveing 3%, you will get that unicorn of 10/10.

It is of course still possible to achieve 10/10 on normal terms but this will fluctuate dependant on the terms and competition. I have QS 3 keywords and QS 10 keywords going to the same landing page. So examples of landing pages with 10 QS keywords will not be as informative as one would think. It is the subtle combination of all elements, and even this will change from time to time.

I have even achieved the 10 QS with an ad that could in no way be declared relevant to the keyword according to an algorythm (it was a completely out the box ad test and did not relate to the keyword in conventional ways) but because the ad was so successful in generating traffic it was deemed relevant and the 10 QS was achieved.

Unfortunately I can not share any of the examples at this time, at least not in a way that would be helpful as I would need to change certain pieces of information. But I am sure there are others out there that can share, and I myself am interested to see as well.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Dave,

Great insights. I'll read through the entire document you shared.

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers,

Michal

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Michal, 

10/10 is certainly possible, in fact in several of my Accounts the majority of Keywords are 9 or 10/10.  However, there's no "magic" landing page or copy that will achieve this.  QS is made up of many factors and most of those factors are unique to the business/site/Account.  Generally speaking, the following points will get you on the road to a high QS:

#1 - High CTR.  CTR is the major factor in QS so the higher it gets, the higher your QS is likely to be.  There's no magic number here either as it's relative to other advertisers but if you continue to seek higher and higher CTR, that's only going to help.

#2 - High relevancy.  Having too many and too diverse a set of Keywords in a single Ad Group is a good route to poor QS.  Ad Groups must be very tightly themed with Keywords very closely matching the others in their Group.  Keywords must also very closely match their Ads and sometimes the best way to do this is to have just one Keyword per Group.  Keywords and Ads must also match their landing page well, but don't get too carried away with keyword stuffing the site text, etc.  Google refers a lot more to general user experience these days than simply matching word for word.

#3 - Landing page.  Landing pages must be fast, relevant and helpful to the user.  A lot of advertisers seem to forget about what happens after the customer clicks the Ad but Google doesn't.   All landing pages should conform strongly to the Webmaster Guidelines, and pay particular attention to mobile landing pages, page speed and navigation.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

Yes, of course many advertisers have achieved a 10/10 quality score. However, this number shouldn't be the main focus of your account optimizations. Yes, it should align with your performance if you’re doing the right things. But trying to use tricks or short-term solutions to force the number up isn’t the way to go.

Instead, you should focus on your long-term performance goals and look for ways to
reach them by improving your user experience. Then check the Quality Score to see how
you’re doing. Google is dedicated to measuring these positive experiences, so when you
focus on them as well, both our goals (and the goals of users) are aligned.

Remember that even if your score is 10, you may still be able to improve your
results. A Quality Score of 10 won’t go up if you improve an already above average
clickthrough rate, but your performance and results can still get better.

Google always says "Focus on the user and all else will follow".

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Once again, awesome insights Clynton. Thanks for sharing.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
A+ thank you for your words.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
That's a great angle to look at things as well. Cheers Ahmed.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

My "2 pennies" on the topic is that the scale, though runs  1 to 10  (as any common grade)  is not linear.  I have no definitive knowledge what  distribution model Google uses, but due to the huge scale of data, I would assume a normal distribution. Furthermore, Google says that QS is a relative score / grade, which hints a normal distribution.

Thus, the transition (i.e. The "jump") from  6 to 7  is not  of the same scale as from 8 to 9 or from 9 to 10... When "moving" from 6 to 7 you are "above average", while getting a QS above 7 means that your keywords performance is within the top performingת among all advertisers using the same keyword.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’