Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

HTML5 ads only with GWD

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

I created a few HTML5 ads and tried uploading them to our display account and received an error saying "This feature might not be supported" and then noticed that in the Image ad policy it states that only ads created with Google Web Designer will be supported. Is this absolutely true? Isn't GWD a pretty new program? HTML5 ads have been utilized before GWD correct?

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author CBWY5
September 2015

Re: HTML5 ads only with GWD

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello.

Sadly*, the information is true: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/176108?hl=en

"Only HTML5 ads created with Google Web Designer are supported."

GWD is pretty new indeed, and HTML5 ads were used in AdWords even before that, but they were either configurable in the AdWords account (such as the dynamic remarketing ones), or converted from Flash ads.

But one was never (to my knowledge) able to generate external HTML5 ads and upload them as zip files.

Moreover, there's also another "issue" with GWD (though it's more of an AdWords issue actually): you can create neat ads that can only run through DoubleClick and not through AdWords. And that's pretty frustrating, because there are some neat components in GWD which are crippled by the fact that those components are not fully supported by AdWords. One DoubleClick feature that doesn't work in AdWords is "multiple exit URLs". So you can have 3 nice pictures rotating, but a click on any of them should point to the same URL (unlike the case of dynamic remarketing ads where each product rotating has its own product URL).

So ... yeah. It's the beginning of a beautiful friendship, but the emphasis is currently on "beginning".

Boy did I ramble ... Smiley Happy

* = there are other HTML5 creation tools out there and I think it would be nice if we would achieve app-independence

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi,

From what I could see, only html5 ads made with GWD are being accepted right now. I think is a measure to make sure that everything is accordingly right with no coding problems.

I had the same issue some time ago, and moved everything to GWD just in case.

AS stated here, https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/176108?hl=en
and as you said: "only ads created with Google Web Designer will be supported"

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Calin,

Thank you very much for the great response. It looks like it's time to learn GWD. Do you know if display ads within the YouTube Interface are also only supported by GWD?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi. CBWY5.

No, you can serve regular display ads (images and text) on youtube without resorting to the GWD. Youtube is available as a placement in display ad campaigns, even before GWD was launched.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Calin,

If I create .swf file then convert to HTML5 by using google swiffy(https://html5-toolkit.appspot.com/#/html5/toolkit/swiffy-(flash-conversion)) google adwords will support these HTML5 ad.

Kalirajan.S

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hello, Kalirajan. Those ads will not be supported, you need to create them with GWD, unfortunately.

Hope it helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I will recommend you open your Flash ad in Adobe Flash CC and convert it into HTML5 using createJS plugin. then you can add the custom script in it or you can also load converted animation into the canvas using GWD.
as an example, check this link https://goo.gl/sjerqh

HTML5 ads only with GWD

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm a GWD newbie, and I realize this is an old thread but I'm having a similar issue I hope you can help me with. I have created an ad with rotating frames, each with it's own link to a different url. However all the links go to the same url when clicked instead of the different sites. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I read that they will work for Doubleclick but not Adworks? The ad validator on this file is doubleclick.

Thanks, Brian

HTML5 ads only with GWD

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies since it is from 2015.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.