Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

HTML5 Banner ads and click tags?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm researching how to build an HTML5 banner ad for a client, and I've been following Google's policy for advertising images:

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/176108?hl=en

Normally, I've been creating Flash banner ads and exporting them in ActionScript 3 to make the click tags work. But according to the link above (or at least from what I understood), there's no need to create a click tag for HTML5 because the ad is automatically clickable, as long as it's not created in Google Web Designer. Is that correct? If I build an HTML5 banner ad in Adobe Flash CC 2015, export it, and upload it online, can the ad be automatically trackable? 

By the way, I want to keep the entire ad clickable. I don't want to limit it by only having certain areas clickable.

Thanks in advance. Just wanted to make sure I understand what I'm reading. Smiley Happy

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by CassieH (Community Manager)
February 2016

Re: HTML5 Banner ads and click tags?

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi David,

Yes, that's correct. As the policy page you linked says, "HTML5 ads that are not created in Google Web Designer are, by default, clickable on the entire area of the ad. If you wish to limit the clickable area to specific elements, you will need to include the exitapi.js script."

Hope this helps!
Cassie

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by CassieH (Community Manager)
February 2016

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi David,

Yes, that's correct. As the policy page you linked says, "HTML5 ads that are not created in Google Web Designer are, by default, clickable on the entire area of the ad. If you wish to limit the clickable area to specific elements, you will need to include the exitapi.js script."

Hope this helps!
Cassie

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi David,

Was going through your query here and just wanted to give you my 2 cents or rather experience on this matter.

While the help center does say you can use other platform to create your HTML5 banner ads and they should work fine. I personally faced an issue with the Click Tag on the banners. Basically, my CTR's went for a toss when I used banner ads that were created on a platform other than the Google Web Designer. I was recording 10's and thousands of impressions but just a handful of clicks, and even zero clicks for some banner sizes which should ideally be contributing more traffic to the website.

Post a lot of testing and speculation, we were able to resolve the issue with the clicks only after we tested banners created on GWD. My recommendation to you would be to use only GWD to develop your banner ads as they are the safest way to ensure you do not land up with the same problem I faced. But, if you are confident of your skills on the other platforms, I hope you manage to avoid this scenario.

Do keep us updated on this, if possible.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers
Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reassurance guys.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Actually, in practice, you need a clickTAG. Here's my experience. I've been doing banners for all. Sizmek, TheTradeDesk, GDN. For GDN, the thing is you can't seem to make a personalized clickTAG to work. My solution was to create a new blind banner customed on exactly what you need, AdWords, etc in Google Web Designer, and then do 4 things:

1. Open the exported html file from GWD and add in head your meta and title, with css and js links included.
2. Copy-paste what you have within your old <body> tag within the gwd-page-content div.
3. Add a Replay button (if you have) exactly before the eding of the gwd-page-content div.
4. Copy and paste your directories like CSS and Script and Images in the new banner folder.

that's it. It works, it truly is GDN compatible and it doesn't generate any errors here https://h5validator.appspot.com/adwords#/asset or even here https://h5validator.appspot.com/dcm#/asset

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all. Wanted to join this feed and ask a question related to Assets and testing.

Trying to help an agency overcome an issue with HTML file provided. I have helped them add the correct ClickTag. However, it's failing to pass Validating process due to issue below - 

• Source: LINKED_FILE_NOT_FOUND found in published/index.html: /879366/Enabler_01_197.js

Has anyone come across this before? Any advice is appreciated.

Regards.