Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Greetings,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Through the past two weeks I'm testing a series of mostly Long Tailed Keywords
for different ads to drive traffic to my site for e-mail series sign-up.

But too many are coming back as Low Search Volume and not even being
displayed or posted on the search network. 

I think the copy is very relevant but of two dozen Long Tail Keywords, only two have been shown.

I'm struggling with how to even have these trigger words served up.

Help, suggestions, recommendations appreciated.

Thank you.

Dennis

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Greetings,

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Dennis,

Great question - unfortunately there isn't a way we as advertisers can active Keywords with Low Search Volume.  We simply have to run Ads on Keywords with higher search volume and/or wait until searchers start searching more often for those Keywords, although there are no guarantees those searches will increase.

Some possible suggestions:

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
If these keywords trigger the ad from time to time and the ad is clicked - I would keep them. 2 clicks for 10 impressions is a CTR of 20%....
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Brian, That's fabulous and thanks for taking the time to reply. Appreciated.
I do understand and accept that keyword refinement is trial and error. And I'm learning.
But I'm applying keywords based on how I think someone would look for my services (media planning and buying) and not necessarily how someone ACTUALLY looks for that expertise.
Right now I have my keyword matches set to phrase and exact. But I just started a fresh new ad group with eight different ads, each directed to a dedicated url. This may help me better isolate the words that are working and where I need some assistance. Thanks Brian, Appreciate your help. Dennis

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Moshe and 20% would be an excellent CTR but I am getting 1 click for every 500 or so impressions so i clearly need to make the keywords work harder. Thank you. Dennis Kelly

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Dennis,

Unfortunately there is not much you can do about long tail keywords, besides that which has been suggested. But consider of few of these situations.

Firstly, you said you a re trying to think of ways in which you think people would look for your services and not how they are actually looking for your services. Why would you not want to target how people are looking for your services? It does not matter how people might search for your services in some unforseeable future, but rather how they are actually searching for your services.

If it is a case of KW expansion, in that you are already targeting all the standard avenues and are looking to branch out to new search traffic then I would suggest making extensive use of modified broad match.

Long tail is unfortunately becoming more and more irrelevant due to the extensive use seen over many accounts of modified broad match, as they are able to target most longtail keywords and compete in those auctions without casting an ocean wide net.

Remember to constantly review your search query reports when using nay form of broad match in order to ensure you are acquiring relevant traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Clynton

Thanks for chiming in. Appreciate your comments.

Let me clarify a point.
My longtail keywords have been expressed as though I were shopping for my own services. That is, I know what I want, : Ie: "Free media tips to improve my next campaign."
That's how I would shop for my services.

But other people who are searching for me might only type in:
"media buyer", "experienced media planner", "advertising tips".

That's what I need to refine. Not to shop for me like I shop for me, but to shop for me like I think OTHERS would shop for me.

The most recent keywords are at last getting more clicks, but not triggering conversions just yet. It is a process and I'm still learning.

Many Thanks.

Dennis Kelly
dennis@firstimpressionsmedia.ca

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Dennis,

In that case I would suggest an aggressive keyword expansion through the use of Broad match and constant review of your search query report. That way you will be able to see exactly what people are searching for and possibly guage there intentions in what they actually search for.

This should also help conversion in that you will be able to target certain campaigns to users who are displaying a high intent to purchase.

Every account is a learning process and constantly maturing, it can be rather exciting to some. So glad to hear you getting into it.