Google reports hundreds of clicks, but iTunesConnect shows zero views

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've created an advertisement for my game:

Ad

According to Google, I've received 130+ clicks:

According to iTunes Connect, I've received zero traffic from this campaign.

To be clear: my normal "app store views per day" is ~200. By purchasing 138 clicks from Google AdWords, I'd expect that this number would increase. It has not increased at all.

I've also checked my Google Analytics for my app, and I don't see any increase in the number of new downloads. Typically, my iTunesConnect page converts at about 25%, so with so many clicks I'd expect to see at least a dozen new installs, but I'm just seeing the typical 5-10 installs per day.

Of course, I've tried clicking on the link in Google AdWords. It works fine, taking me to the store.

Can anybody explain what's going on here?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google reports hundreds of clicks, but iTunesConnect shows zero vi

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Zane,

I wonder if you could provide a little more info so we can help you out. How long have you had the campaign running? When you said your landing page converts at 25%, what is that number from? I.e. people who find your app through an app store, organic search, somewhere else? I ask because a 25% conversion rate is quite high, and not something I've seen often in AdWords campaigns.

Do you have conversion tracking set-up in your AdWords account, so that you can determine if any of your downloads have come from the campaign, and if they have, from which targeting?

Thanks!
Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Cassie,

Thanks for the reply. The 25% conversion number is from iTunesConnect "campaign data" from other advertising campaigns I've done (which are no longer active). In iTunes Connect, you can create such a "tracked" campaign, and I can see exactly how many views and downloads it generated. Bear in mind, I'm talking about people who have clicked on an advertisement and viewed the app in the store (what percent of them actually download?) Unfortunately, when I tried to use such a special "tracked campaign" link in my Google AdWords campaign, I was rejected because it was "invalid" (which I still don't understand, but I digress).

Therefore, the link I'm using in my AdWords campaign is the default one which Google provided when I looked up my app in the AppStore through the AdWords interface. Here it is: http://itunes.apple.com/app/aftermath-collectible-pvp/id702615597?uo=5

In any case, I think we can simplify the question: iTunesConnect can show the total number of AppStore views on any day. Yesterday, iTunes Connect said there were 196 AppStore views. This is almost exactly the same as every day the last week. I ran the Google AdWords campaign for $5 on the first day and $20 on the second day (yesterday and the day before).

Obviously, if there were really 138 clicks (like Google claims), I'd see that in the ItC data. 138 would be an increase of at least 50% per day... a very significant increase. But as I've said, there are no more views than any other day this week... nor are there any more installs, per the in-app reporting.

Unfortunately I don't have conversion tracking set up in this version yet.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Here's a screenshot from iTunesConnect to concretely make my point: http://cl.ly/image/1u2b2C250r1h

And a screenshot from Google AdWords for the exact same day: http://cl.ly/image/2R1W1W24050R

Hope that helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Nobody has any idea? Smiley Sad

This is still going on after several days. I'm dropping $20 a day and not getting anything out of it. No views, no installs. I've even tried setting up a whole new campaign. I guess AdWords just won't work.

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
Hi Zane,

Looks like there's a disconnect in the data--the link to your app store page may be broken, or iTunesConnect does not provide data on the page where your AdWords campaign is bringing users.

You mentioned that you have Analytics on the app page as well, and that it does not show any additional conversions--but also that you don't have conversion tracking set-up yet. Are your Analytics and AdWords accounts linked when you check the gear icon in the top right corner of your AdWords account > Linked Accounts > Google Analytics?

If so, please go to the Reporting section of Analytics and check under Acquisition > All Traffic > Channels and let me know if you are getting traffic coming through under paid search.

Thanks!
Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Cassie,

I don't understand how the link could be broken. When I click on it in the screenshot above, it takes me to the store. It's the link that Google created (I did not choose it) when I selected my app from the AppStore via their interface.

I highly doubt that ITC is not counting the views. The whole job of the ITC reporting page is to tell you about where people are finding your app.

I'm not sure what you mean about "analytics for the app page." There's no "app page." Here's what happens:
1) User clicks ad, they (should) go to the AppStore
2) User installs game, and the game has Google Analytics in it, so I can track new users
3) However, I do not have conversion tracking set up yet (so I can see new users, but not attribute them to a campaign, per your request to look at the Acquisition channel)

That said, I stopped the ads 2 days ago. If anything, installations have INCREASED since then. I can't explain why, but it appears that AdWords simply did not drive any traffic or installs despite spending $20 / day on hundreds of clicks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Zane,

Yeah that happens. There can be latency in ITC reporting AdWords results. Sometimes improving on the analytics, or starting everything over from scratch will do the trick.

S.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’