AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Google made placements not relative to me. Do I delete?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello!
Getting things going in adwords for remarketing with static image ads.

One thing I noticed is that over the past few days google has placed my ads on hundreds of sites. But looking at the sites, not one is relative to my market.

I sell tropical and beach t-shirts. The sites google selected for me are ones like usatoday.com, 9gag.com, reddit.com to show my remarketing ads. None really relative to my tropical market. I am thinking I should delete these and add a bunch of tropical sites.
BUT if they are going to my site due to an interest in tropical products, and then to sites not related to my market, that does not necessarily mean what google selected is bad. If you like beach t-shirts, you can read USAtoday.

Should I not worry about what google is selecting as a web site for placement and just add others I think are relative?

thanks!

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason G
June 2016

Re: Google made placements not relative to me. Do I delete?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 15
Top Contributor

Hi Jason

You are right, it was wise from you.

Actually the stats you posted are not the stats accrued by a remarketing campaign, but by a simple display campaign.

I represent you allowed it to happen when you failed to turn off the "Let AdWords automatically find new customers" feature. Please base your approach on the axiom that only stats accrued for your audiences can be regarded as stats for a remarketing campaign.

Now, you either repeat the test with that feature turned off, or dispose of the additional targeting options entirely. I would suggest you to listen to what was said by @Jon_Gritton above.

Best,

Lakatos

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
HI Jason,

I just don't understand if it is a remarketing campaign why are you considering adding relevant websites as placements? In fact, in case it is a remarketing campaign, you do not have to add any additional targeting to it.

So, could you elaborate on how your targeting options are set by you? You only target a remarketing list? Any additional options applied?

Best,
Lakatos

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Lakatos,
I am very new to adwords but well experienced with FB ads....so your question was something I asked adwords support.
Currently all I want to do it retarget customers that visited my site with static image ads I created. Got about a dozen. I do not care what site it appears on, but the adwords rep told me that I should add key words and web sites. I to was very confused by this because the point of retargeting is to follow them no matter where they go.

They had me go to my campaign > Display network > Placements. They showed me where my ads are appearing and suggested I add sites. Then they had me switch to display keywords and add key words there.

The rep briefly said that by adding web sites that are relative to my brand there is a better chance of my image ad appearing. I do not understand why keywords and adding web sites is relative to retargeting?

I am currently running no other campaigns at this time. Just retargeting...but the rep did keep calling it remarketing. I am not running any dynamic remarketing campaigns.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello @Jason G

I have been  reading your questions during the last days, and my advice would be to learn AdWords in a systematic process from the start. You came from a different platform (AdRoll,  other ad exchanges/ networks...) while AdWords is a much more sophisticated platform in terms of targeting options audience targeting  and campaign structure and settings.

A good tutorial to start with is this one:

https://www.google.com/ads/new/step-by-step-adwords.html

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Jason,

With respect, I would not have given you those particular pieces of advice. However, I did not have a chance to listen to that conversation.

Basically I share your opinion in that the point of retargeting is to follow them no matter where they go. In case the remarketing list is generated the right way, I fear that additional targeting options may cause nothing else but some confusion, especially if the feature "Let AdWords automatically find new customers" is not turned off. (If it is, and you are very careful with additional targeting options, you may of course increase a bit the efficacy of your targeting, but that's rather an advanced technique, not something for newbies.)

Please also give attention to what @MosheTLV told you above. A very useful piece of advice.

Best,

Lakatos

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I would agree I need to learn more. That link seems a bit basic, more for text ads, targeting keywords for google searches. If I miss understood, please tell me.
We actually tried text ads about a year ago. Being an "unknown" brand relatively speaking, we found these not to work for us. Adwords was back burnered until we decided to pick up retargeting. Our brand grew from cultivating a social presence on Facebook, so I became well versed in advertising there.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Oh, yeah. You are correct. Maybe the following link is a bit more specific to your needs:

*** Create your first display remarketing campaign ***
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3210317?hl=en

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I would agree with you that it was not sound advice from adwords. I stopped my ads yesterday until I figure this out. Today I removed the option to find new customers automatically, deleted my keywords, and the web sites I suggested. But now it is telling me that my potential reach is under 1000 per day. Check out this video http://screencast.com/t/BkV2SuTKg

You can also see in that video that I reached about 35k impressions for about $35 with zero conversions. While these numbers are not much yet in the way of data, with adroll this would have equated to about $250 in sales. Additionally, the demographics that my ads were shown to in google were for younger crowds, mostly male, why my audience is 70% female, middle aged and up.

My CPC on adwords is .48 where on adroll is is a $1.48.

So the ads are getting served to a good portion of the wrong demographics, cheaper, and I am not getting the same conversions here as I am with adroll. Adroll is still running for me and successfully.

What can I take away from this? I am turning my campaign back on today to see what happens.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
I am assuming that the remarketing list is being generated the right way. If it is you are chasing the right guys no matter where they go. If you think you may have problems with their gender or age etc, chances are that you are generating the wrong list. The list comes first, everything else is derivative.

I would like you to click on the "Display Network" tab and then on the "Interests & Remarketing" sub-tab. The table should display performance data relative to your particular audiences. Could you please share what you see?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi @Jason G I hope @Lakatos doesn't mind me jumping in here, but I thought I'd share some observations on Remarketing and placements.

I use Remarketing for a lot of my clients and in my experience the sites that trigger conversions are quite often entirely unrelated to the product being sold.  Bear in mind that Remarketing Ads are triggered by the customer not Google, so when and why they decide that now is the time to follow up on that earlier browse of your site is itself triggered by any number of thoughts, impulses and random decisions.  As with most things AdWords, the best approach to getting better performance is to look at the data.  Allow statistically significant data to accumulate then begin to block (add as negative placements) those sites that really don't seem to be returning good results.  Don't worry so much about what the sites are, but only the performance they give.

Having said that, you may want to block certain categories of site so your Ads don't appear in... "inappropriate" places (if you want a chuckle, have a look at some of these:  https://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicamisener/totally-unfortunate-ad-placements ).  AdWords has a tool for doing this, you can read about here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3306596?hl=en-GB

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits