AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Google inserting www. into my display URL and making it incorrect.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am running an AdWord campaign where not sure why Display url is getting prefixed with www. My URL starts with http://myurl.com, but this 'www.myurl.com' is making my display URL incorrect. Please help.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Google inserting www. into my display URL and making it incorrect.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Subhamita,

I would review this page regarding the insertion of www in a display URL.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2616010?hl=en

"Your display URL appears in your ad with a "www." prefix, in lowercase letters (even if you enter it with capitalized letters). If your URL begins with a subdomain, your display URL may include it (for example, the "support" in "support.google.com")."

The reality is, people don't copy/paste display URLs in ads. They either click the ad or they do not. If your destination/final URL is structured and entered correctly, then users, after clicking an ad, will be taken to where you are suggesting.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi there,

Are you referring to the display or destination URL? In any case, it doesn't make the URL incorrect, as both (with or without www) would lead to the same page.

- Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Subhamita B

Within your AdWords settings for your ad's, what is the URL showing? Is the www. within the present setup of your ad's? 

I assume as you are stating that your URL is incorrect with the addition of the www. your domain, your domain is not configured to serve content on the www subdomain?

If this or an alternative post has provided you the answer you require, "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Sumanth for your response. But unfortunately it is not directing to the same Location. My site starts with http://mysiteexample.com, where as google is showing up www.mysiteexample.com. which is not correct.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
So this is about the destination URL.

As Tom has mentioned, your domain may not be configured to show content, when www is added. So fixing that is one way to go about it.

Coming to the issue, are you seeing www added to the display URL after typing it in? I'm asking this, as I don't see that happening in my account. Could you try manually editing the destination URL to the right page and see if the www is again added?

- Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tom, Thanks for your response. When I am setting up the Ad's or editing it, I can see my ad url properly (i.e. without www). Even preview link is showing right display url. But when I see it in SERP, it shows prefixed by "www." which is making it incorrect.
I hope I am able to explain my issue.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes I did... it is not showing www. when I am looking at it from the tool. It is appearing only when I see the live ad in google SERP.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Subhamita B

That was going to be my next question to you, does it display correctly in the ad preview.

As you have answered this, I will move on to my next question.. You say, that the URL is displayed incorrectly, however, the destination URL, is this altered also, or is simply the matter that when your ad is shown, it prefixes the www. ?

If this or an alternative post has provided you the answer you require, "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

Tom

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Subhamita,

I would review this page regarding the insertion of www in a display URL.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2616010?hl=en

"Your display URL appears in your ad with a "www." prefix, in lowercase letters (even if you enter it with capitalized letters). If your URL begins with a subdomain, your display URL may include it (for example, the "support" in "support.google.com")."

The reality is, people don't copy/paste display URLs in ads. They either click the ad or they do not. If your destination/final URL is structured and entered correctly, then users, after clicking an ad, will be taken to where you are suggesting.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’