AdWords
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

[Google editor] This keyword has the same text as another?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

I'm starting out with Adwords and it's editor.

My first task was to migrate one account to another.

For that I used Google Editor Export/Import feature.

Now when I imported date to a new account I got many attention signals (exclamation mark buttons).

First one which I want to learn is:

"This keyword has the same text as another keyword in the ad group but with different capitalization"

Image:

Adwords editor exclamation mark.jpg

What I need to learn to resolve it and about what issue it is in general? I feel that there is something wrong with duplicate data.

Hope you are well,

Vytas

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vytautas P
September 2015

Re: [Google editor] This keyword has the same text as another?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Vytas,

This is the good features of AdWords editor that populates such warning before posting the keywords.

In your case it is showing the "Duplicate Keywords With Different Capitalization in Same Ad Group with Same Match Type". It means you are trying to add-- one keyword is "pet supplier" and other keyword may be "Pet Supplier"/ PET Suppliers" in your ad group.

But AdWords does not consider capitalization in the keywords. Adwords automatically ignores the capitalization and treats the keywords in lower case.So It means you are trying to keep duplicate keywords in same ad group in the same match type.

So, Adding Duplicate keywords, would compete to each other and higher the Ad Ranks will show the ads.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vytautas P
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Vytas,

This is the good features of AdWords editor that populates such warning before posting the keywords.

In your case it is showing the "Duplicate Keywords With Different Capitalization in Same Ad Group with Same Match Type". It means you are trying to add-- one keyword is "pet supplier" and other keyword may be "Pet Supplier"/ PET Suppliers" in your ad group.

But AdWords does not consider capitalization in the keywords. Adwords automatically ignores the capitalization and treats the keywords in lower case.So It means you are trying to keep duplicate keywords in same ad group in the same match type.

So, Adding Duplicate keywords, would compete to each other and higher the Ad Ranks will show the ads.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,
thanks a lot for your solution.

Still I need some clarification,

does this impact campaign performance? Should I remove duplicate keywords?

And this warning sign shows that I have duplicate keyword in same ad group?

Should I need to check other duplications of same keywords in different ad groups in same account?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Vytautas,

You should remove duplicate keywords if they are using the same match type. It's okay to have the same keyword with multiple different match types.

You should take a look and make sure that you don't have duplicate keywords across the account (if they are the same match type, that is). You can do this by using the AdWords Editor.  Go to "Tools" at the top and select "Duplicate keywords"  The next screen will look like the image below.

duplicate_keywords.png

Notice the selections that I have chosen. (Duplicates must have the same match type, across selected campaigns.) I like to look at keywords in the "strict word order" first and then "Any Word Order".  Especially if you are using broad match, you should look at both Word Order options.

There is an exception if you are using different targeting methods.  For instance if your campaigns are targeting two different cities with no overlap, it is okay if they use the same keywords.  You don't need to worry about paused campaigns or display campaigns, either.  Keep that in mind when you are using the tool and only select campaigns using the same targeting settings (geography, ad schedule) when you run it.   It will then take you to a list of all of your duplicate keywords.  Just make sure that there is only one of each keyword active for each match type.

I know that was a pretty wordy explanation, so feel free to let me know if I didn't explain anything well enough!

Brilliant

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Amy, Thank you so much for your answer. I am struggling with the problem now, and you have a proper answer to the question.

Really appreciate.

regards,

Ronel

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having the same problem and I can't seem to fix it. I do have duplicate keywords but the Match Types are different. That's what I want but I can't seem to get rid of the warning to get the ads approved.

Google-Adwords-Editor-Warning-about-Keywords.jpg

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

These are warnings; they don't prevent you from uploading those keywords (unlike errors, indicated by red circles). Editor issues a warning when a particular value or a configuration looks suspicious - possibly entered inadvertently, by mistake - but is not outright invalid. The warning is there to make you stop and double-check your setup - but if you are sure you know what you are doing, then go ahead and post.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there any way to configure AdWords Editor to not show these warnings on duplicate keywords but different match types? It's driving my OCD nuts haha Smiley Happy

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

Hi Nick,

Unfortunately, there is no way to stop the editor to throw out these warnings. You just have to be on the look out for those Red colored warnings and develop an appetite for the yellow ones cause they are not going away anytime soon.

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"