AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Google adword freelance

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I started my own Google adword consulting business, anyone got any stories of starting thier own freelance business ? How did you first get customers =)

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author nathan g
June 2017

Google adword freelance

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Congrats!  Starting a new business is so much fun... I've been in the game for a super long time, and it's a great niche to be in.  There are a few ways you can go to get kick started.

For me, I began by "freelancing" on job sites - guru.com and elance.com were the big ones at the time.  I still have profiles out on Upwork and get requests for new jobs daily STILL.  At first, you will have to offer lower rates and bid on almost everything, but then you can get more particular and picky as you grow.

I even found great people on Craigslist, believe it or not.  We've also hosted local events, joined the Chamber, and networked... But, honestly... our growth has come from those stinkin job sites and meeting lots of people, doing good work, and getting more referrals.  

View solution in original post

Google adword freelance

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Nathan,

Congratulations on your new business endeavor. I wrote an expert article for Google Partners titled Marketing Your Agency, which is suited perfectly to your situation. Please take a look and see if it provides anything useful to you. 

Of course, I encourage you to join Google Partners and squeeze out all that you can from it. From free training and certifications to insights and case studies, it is all designed for people doing what you are. We also have a community two floors down from this AdWords community, so be sure to roam about there, too.  

Personally, I started my company back in 1992 and would say that you need to surround yourself with quality people that need your services. This touches back on my article I mention above and is an absolute to succeeding, in my opinion. You can also contact established marketing and website companies in your area and offer to provide "white label" AdWords work on their behalf. This works well for those seeking to remain behind the scenes more. You do the work on behalf on those companies, who will also pay you, but they invoice the clients and market the work, etc.. 

I would suggest to use the term "consulting" loosely, since a consultant is usually at the top of the chain with an above normal level of expertise. I say this has I know many business owners that would take offense to the term unless someone has 20 years of specific expertise with a subject. Consulting often means you "instruct or direct" but don't actually "do" which is far different from presenting yourself as someone ready to jump in and be hired to handle an AdWords account for a business. AdWords Agent... Certified AdWords Professional For Hire... something like this will get far more attention overall. 

Please take no offense to my viewpoint, as it is only meant to assist... omit what does not apply to your unique situation.      

Kind Regards,

James

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author nathan g
June 2017

Google adword freelance

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Congrats!  Starting a new business is so much fun... I've been in the game for a super long time, and it's a great niche to be in.  There are a few ways you can go to get kick started.

For me, I began by "freelancing" on job sites - guru.com and elance.com were the big ones at the time.  I still have profiles out on Upwork and get requests for new jobs daily STILL.  At first, you will have to offer lower rates and bid on almost everything, but then you can get more particular and picky as you grow.

I even found great people on Craigslist, believe it or not.  We've also hosted local events, joined the Chamber, and networked... But, honestly... our growth has come from those stinkin job sites and meeting lots of people, doing good work, and getting more referrals.