AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Google Shopping: when do ads show

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I've set up my shopping account, but I was wondering what triggers a shopping ad to show? With Google Search it's the keywords you put in, but based on what input does Google know it's a relevant match with shopping ads?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Jeltje

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Shopping: when do ads show

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey there Jeltje! 

As Google says "Shopping ads use your existing Merchant Center product data -- not keywords -- to decide how and where to show your ads. The product data you submit through Merchant Center contains details about the products you sell. We'll use these details when we match a user's search to your ads, making sure to show the most relevant products." 

Source: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454022? 

Translation? : Bid & our Google Merchant Store decides how/where/when your ads appear . Your Merchant center is almost like a website so Google 'crawls' your merchant store for multiple signals: 

- keywords

- how detailed your product descriptions are (size, dimensions, color, etc.)   

- model # / year of make / brand name /etc. 

- your 'feed' and how well its built

All of these factor into an unknown formula that is your 'Quality Score' .

Those factors combined with your bid make up the deciding factor of when/where your shopping ad will appear. 

I hope this answers your question! 

- Josh

Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’