AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Google Search Partners With Location Intent?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Sometimes a Campaign with Location Intent only targeting will match search terms that don't have the targeted location name.  Obviously this means the location intent is being determined by other means such as searching from the site where a location is entered into a field separate from the search term.  

I'm curious if anyone has an educated guess as to the top 3 or site by traffic that Google has this type of arrangement with?

It seems to me the vast majority of searches are performed on Google & Google Maps, followed by the Bing/Yahoo platform but a pretty distant second.

If you search from Google Maps, such as using the "Nearby" option after entering a location name or simply searching from where Maps detects the user is located.  

However, if you try doing this, the search results are solely Google Places listings and only once in a blue moon do you see an Adwords ad.  In fact I manage several accounts with Location Intent targeting and very rarely do I see their ad appear in the Google Maps results. 

So where are the other location intent results coming from for search terms that don't include a location name in them?

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Edit: I got this response way wrong. My apologies. Attempt #2 below. Smiley Happy

Tom

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I think maybe I used slightly different terminology possibly resulting in you not understanding my question.

There is location intent targeting.  Google calls it "Location of interest"  and the option in the campaign is to only match with users showing an interest in the locations you have specified.  My term for this is location intent targeting.

If you look at search term reports for campaigns set to "”Reach people searching for, or who show interest in your targeted location” you will see that some of the search terms include the name of the location of interest "Seattle Car Insurance" for example, where as other do not, "Car Insurance"  Again this is only targeting location of interest, not the geolocation of the user's IP address.  

So as I asked before excluding the obvious, a Google Maps search (where Google determines the location of interest by where the map is centered), what are the sources of click-thrus for location of interest target only Campaigns where the location name is not in the search query?  Or are pretty much 90+ percent of those Google Maps related searches?

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Sorry, I forgot about that option, because I just don't use it. Smiley Happy My mistake.

Even when using the ”Reach people searching for, or who show interest in your targeted location”, option, you still have to choose a targeted location. So if you are using broader KW variations which do not include a location modifier, you will still get some non-location specific queries.

Google might use the IP address, physical location, or previous query data to help determine a users location, if no location modifiers are part of the query. Maps data might be part of that, but maps/partners is not all there is to it. 

If you only want to show ads to users who specifically include a location modifier in the search query, then try using more restrictive match types. +Seattle car insurance, or [Seattle car insurance] for example. Even "Seattle car insurance" could trigger a query for 'car insurance', as the root phrase 'car insurance' is still included, in the same order, in phrase match.

Tom