2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Google Planner vs Google Trends not accurate

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When i tried to compare Google Planner and Google Trends i say a big difference .

Look at the pics :

Keyword Planner

http://awesomescreenshot.com/0f22bd1800

Google Trends

http://s29.postimg.org/kr8ci1dx3/3889368.png

The keyword planner show that the search of that game are rising every month and the trends show that is faling down .

So i want to see how many searches per month have that keyword .

Regards

Nenciu V.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Planner vs Google Trends not accurate

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;
First, the time scale of the plots you attached is not the same....
However; in general, the data on trends is normalized (to reflect the trend) while the data on the keyword planner is absolute numbers

Read more:

How Trends data is normalized

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So let me understand you a little bit .

So the keyword now in ianuary has under 10k search per month and that niche is falling down fast .

Right ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

To build on the previous answer, I would like to add my input regarding the issue

"So i want to see how many searches per month have that keyword ."

To see how many searches per month matched a certain keyword , using the Keyword planner, you can download the table segmented by month like this :

download-per-month.png

segment-by-month.png

The discrepancies with the Google Trends tool could be cause also because the trends tool presents "search terms" while the keyword planner presents traffic estimates for exact match "keywords". I noticed that the words which I typed in the text box are presented on the first row as "search terms" , the others are keywords and they all have "avg monthly searches"

search-terms-vs-keywords-in-kw-planner.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So made like you said Adrian i downloaded the stats , and i recived the following

search.PNG

In december the keyword got 33k search and in January don't show nothing .

The keywords is "clumsy ninja cheats" , can somebody please check if the search for this keywords and going down or up ?

Regards

Nenciu V.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello again Nenciu
Looking at the plot you attached, the trends during January vary during the month; while the "planner" provides an average. An average is a misleading metric.

Google will not show trends for all  search quries: I don't know the criteria; I just know that there are queries for which data in not shown / not available - mainly "niche" queries, and low volume search terms. It is similar for search queries for which in Adwords you could see "other search terms" or "not set" in Analytics.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The trend is descending by almost 50% in January 2014 compared to December, even if the data is not yet depicted in the keyword planner. Trust the google trends tool.

I noticed in Google trends that the search term began to be popular on the 22 of november 2014 so traffic is for 1 week of november compared to 1 full month of december .

If you download the data from google trends in CSV format ( from the wheel in the upper right) and add up the numbers, you can see that the interest level in 8 days in november was around 60 % of 31 days in december.

This is almost the same as the keyword planner is showing, meaning  22.200 (searches for november) is 67 % of 31.100 (searches reported for december).

Google trends normalised results are :

November = 669 ( level of interest for 9 days ) - the maximum would have been 9 x 100 = 900

December = 1123 ( level of interest for 31 days ) - the maximum would have been 31 x 100 = 3100

January = 573 ( level of interest for 31 days)

The keyword planner will be updated with data for January 2014 probably in a week and I bet it will show up aproximately 50% of 31.100 searches = 15.000 searches in January 2014 for this search term.

level-of-interest.png

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
I am lost here...what search term are we talking about? the OP asked about "clumsy ninja cheats"
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nenciu v
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, that is exactly what I have researched in Google trends ( as seen from the screenshot with the extracted data in excel , it includes the search term ) and in the keyword planner.

The keyword planner shows 22.200 searches in November 2013, 31.000 searches in december 2013 and no data for January 2014 but the google trends shows data for january 2014

google-trends.png

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 10
Top Contributor Alumni

To try and simplify what seems to be becoming a complicated discussion, let me point out that the two tools you are discussing do not use the same dataset to produce their results.

Although people can and do use Google Trends for some keyword research, the tool pulls data from a wide variety of sources, not all of which are or will be monetized. The keyword tool is precisely that--a tool that focuses on traffic available for paid clicks.

So, as in your example, although the wider trend of searches for your keyword may be dropping, the potential for paid click traffic may be increasing.

Edit:  As @MosheTLV  pointed out to me, changes have been made in the two tools and the datasets they use may be more similar than they were in the past. If so, my response may be incorrect.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*