Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Google Keyword Planner Search Volumes

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

I know this is a very basic question, but please can I confirm if the keyword search volumes in Google Keyword Planner is exactly that - just search volume (i.e. including organic search) - rather than impressions of paid keywords? 

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pegal
July

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi,

The keyword search volumes represent the total number of searches based on the selected targeting settings and date ranges. The volume represents both paid and organic since both ad types would generate impressions on those searches. However, under targeting make sure that "Google" is selected instead of "Google Search Partners" because search partner volume will typically only be paid keywords.

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pegal
July

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi,

The keyword search volumes represent the total number of searches based on the selected targeting settings and date ranges. The volume represents both paid and organic since both ad types would generate impressions on those searches. However, under targeting make sure that "Google" is selected instead of "Google Search Partners" because search partner volume will typically only be paid keywords.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Perfect, thank you

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Oh, is the search volume column estimated potential searches when your ad is eligible, not the search volume key words have received in google? To clarify, I am refering to the "avg monthly searches" column in the "get search volume data and trends" area of keyword planner. 

Thanks

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

No, the search volume represents total search volume given the targeting settings, not just when your ad is eligible.