Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Google Display Network Campaign Optimization Tips-Need Your Feedback

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear All,

I've been using some great GDN campaign optimization strategies for a long and benefited a lot by following them. Here I'm going to share it with you, expecting, it might also help you. I know most of you already aware of these strategies, for those people, I simply need their additions, valuable suggestions and sincere feedback. I hope, you all will support me in this. Smiley Happy

How to Optimize a Google Display Network Campaign in Google AdWords?

First of all I really thank to the Google for many useful tools made available in Google AdWords. I am sure you all shall be using of these phenomenal tools which I'm going to mention over here.

Display Ad Builder

Placement Tool

Contextual Targeting Tool

Bidding Option and

Conversion Tracking

If you are using these tools, you only need to take few more steps to fully optimize your AdWords campaigns.

Step #1:

Perform 3 Activities to keep the Display Network in Check with Placements:

1. Placement Sweeping

2. Placement graduation

3. Placement Reformation

1. Placement Sweeping: Placements that are taking your money but not giving you any conversions (If you're using conversion tracking) must be taken away from your placements. Identify and find those placements and exclude them. Stop spending anymore amount on these placements.

2. Placement Graduation: This is another most important practice to optimize your GDN campaigns. Placements that are taking your money but giving you conversions at the rate which is fairly accepted by you should be taken into the Managed Placements. I would suggest you to graduate those placements from automatic placements to management placements so they could give you more aggressive results at lower CPA.

Lower CPA because once you graduate those placements into managed placements you can raise bids and have better ad positions. Since they are performing well, hence you could get more number of conversions at lower cost.

3. Placement Reformation: This is quite similar to Placement Graduation. For this step you need to identify and find those placements which are poorly performing for you. Be careful while doing this. Graduate those placements into managed placement but at lower bids. These placements are making conversions for you but quite expensive than other. What you need to do set appropriate lower bids which is fairly acceptable by you and keep close eyes on these placements.

Step #2:

Frequency Capping: Frequency Capping is one of the most important factor in better optimization of your GDN campaigns. Frequency Capping is used to control your ad distribution to the target audience. In this practice we limit the number of times your ads appear to your user in Google Display Networks. You can set the maximum number of impressions for the user for a time period, per day, per week, per month or a specific time period at specific level from Ad-group to Campaigns.

To enable the frequency capping follow the instructions:

settings --> Advance settings --> Ad delivery: Ad rotation, frequency capping --> Next to Frequency capping click on EDIT and set your limits.

Step #3:

Adwordscommunity.png

Above the Fold: The third tip is to select the position where on the page your ad be appeared. Google AdWords provides you the ability to set your ad position above the fold. The below the fold filter is an optimization feature that gives you an ability to show your ads only if they appear fully on the user's screen when the page loads.

To enable this feature follow the steps:

Select the campaign --> Go the Network tab -->on Down click on the Exclusion --> On the right hand side at campaign level click on add exclusion --> Select below the fold and save.

I hope this would work you fine too. Smiley Happy

Please don't forget to give your valuable feedback to encourage me as its my first article over here. I appreciate all your recommendations here.

Thanks,

Anand Vishwakarma
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Display Network Campaign Optimization Tips-Need Your Feedba

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Anand, thanks for this, a very nice article.  All I'd add is that it's important to allow Campaigns enough time to gather useful statistics before you start making changes like pausing or deleting placements.  With AdWords (in any form) the true worth of any Keyword, Group or Campaign can sometimes need several weeks or months to become apparent and while I wouldn't suggest allowing a "zero" performance to carry on for this long, you should also not make snap judgements based upon only 2 or three days of statistics.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Re: Google Display Network Campaign Optimization Tips-Need Your Feedba

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon,

Thanks a lot for your valuable addition. Yeah, its really very important to allow your campaigns adequate time to analyze its performance. Thanks for making it more prominent.

Regards,

Anand Vishwakarma