Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Google Adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I am just wondering if I can sign in for Google AdWords and have a look around how it works without creating/ releasing any ads. ( I mean something like test or trial version)

Thanks

Katarina

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Google Adwords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Katrina and welcome to the forum.  Unfortunately there is no "test" version of Adwords (what is normally termed a "sandbox" in geek-speak).  I don't know why, but I suspect it may be because there would be no way to accurately replicate the behaviour of a real account.  With PayPal, for example, their sandbox behaves in exactly the same way as the real thing (except it doesn't take or give money!):  They can do this because they don't need to interact with anyone/thing else to show how the program works.  With Adwords, almost everything about the program is an interaction with the outside world and the way a real Adwords account works depends upon how searchers/web users interact with the Ads.  If you're not actually showing Ads to real people, the test environment would never replicate what would happen in reality and then would be, at best, misleading.

If you want to learn about the program the new Help files are very good and now include a lot of screenshots and videos showing the interface and how everything hangs together.  You can, of course, also open an Adwords account and set it all up without actually running any Ads (you could experiment with just one Campaign and leave it "Paused"), but I probably wouldn't recommend this as this Campaign could have an effect on future work if you decided to use Adwords for real (although the effect would probably be very small).

Have a look through this lot and come back to us with any more questions you will have.

Adwords Help Centre

Learn with Google

Pausing Campaigns

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Katrina and welcome to the forum.  Unfortunately there is no "test" version of Adwords (what is normally termed a "sandbox" in geek-speak).  I don't know why, but I suspect it may be because there would be no way to accurately replicate the behaviour of a real account.  With PayPal, for example, their sandbox behaves in exactly the same way as the real thing (except it doesn't take or give money!):  They can do this because they don't need to interact with anyone/thing else to show how the program works.  With Adwords, almost everything about the program is an interaction with the outside world and the way a real Adwords account works depends upon how searchers/web users interact with the Ads.  If you're not actually showing Ads to real people, the test environment would never replicate what would happen in reality and then would be, at best, misleading.

If you want to learn about the program the new Help files are very good and now include a lot of screenshots and videos showing the interface and how everything hangs together.  You can, of course, also open an Adwords account and set it all up without actually running any Ads (you could experiment with just one Campaign and leave it "Paused"), but I probably wouldn't recommend this as this Campaign could have an effect on future work if you decided to use Adwords for real (although the effect would probably be very small).

Have a look through this lot and come back to us with any more questions you will have.

Adwords Help Centre

Learn with Google

Pausing Campaigns

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Great answer Jon.

Katrina could probably think of spending $10-$20 for the sake of learning AdWords...

I did that before I joined Google as a Team member. Nothing beats hands on experience. It is well worth it

Just, please make sure that you follow the Policy guidelines, the T&Cs....

What you say?

E

PS: I am NOT encouraging anybody to "waste" money. Google wants its customers to be successful and prosperous.

Yes, I work at Google. I want all AdWords Advertisers to be happy and prosperous

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Are we talking about same thing? https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/test-accounts regards