Guide Me
star_border

Google Adwords clicks being attributed as direct visits

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

This is my first time posting a topic here on the AdWords Community forums, so please bare with me. Please let me know if this is posted in the wrong area.

But at the organzation I work for, we've come across the following issue:

1. Person searches for a cle or PLI-related term like “patent bar” and sees our ad.

2. Person clicks on the ad to our website and travels all the way to a product landing page.

3. They don't buy anything.

4. The next day they come back to that same landing page and buy something. 

5. Instead of being attributed to our adwords campagin in GA, they are being attributed as a direct visit in Google Analytics.

Any theories that anyone could have to explain this would be greatly appreciated. We have been working with Google to make certain that the necessary Google Analytics/AdWords code implementation on are pages is correct. So far we've found that nothing with this is the cause.

Again any help provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

golstat2003 

1 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Google Adwords clicks being attributed as direct visits

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey GolStat2003,

It sounds like you are seeing a conversion that is called an assited click conversion. If you have conversion tracking setup in your AdWords account, you are then able to produce reports that identify these assisted clicks. Simply navigate to the 'Conversions' sub-section under the 'Tools & Analysis' tab. In the left gutter will be a 'Search Funnels' link. Within the 'Search Funnels' section, you can generate assist click and impression reports plus many others that will additionally help analyze your data.

Refer to - http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722023

Thanks,

BlueIon

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello. Analytics was recently enriched with a fantastic section: the real time reports. Do a test yourself. Open Analytics in one tab, click on one of your ads, and see how you look to analytics. Maybe this will help you get some insights.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks all! Will try those areas you listed below and get back to you on this.

I've found one other solution somewhere else and will also try it and let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks,
golstat2003

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey GolStat2003,

It sounds like you are seeing a conversion that is called an assited click conversion. If you have conversion tracking setup in your AdWords account, you are then able to produce reports that identify these assisted clicks. Simply navigate to the 'Conversions' sub-section under the 'Tools & Analysis' tab. In the left gutter will be a 'Search Funnels' link. Within the 'Search Funnels' section, you can generate assist click and impression reports plus many others that will additionally help analyze your data.

Refer to - http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722023

Thanks,

BlueIon

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello. Analytics was recently enriched with a fantastic section: the real time reports. Do a test yourself. Open Analytics in one tab, click on one of your ads, and see how you look to analytics. Maybe this will help you get some insights.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks all! Will try those areas you listed below and get back to you on this.

I've found one other solution somewhere else and will also try it and let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks,
golstat2003