AdWords
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Google AdWords: Why is my Keyword Relevance Poor?

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

I'm Shilpi from the Account Performance Team and I get many questions around 'relevance', especially from advertisers whose keywords show a poor relevance score despite being, well - seemingly relevant!

So what does ‘relevancy’ mean in AdWords terms?

It means that our systems think your ad, keyword, and landing page are all relevant and useful to someone looking at your ad. A lot depends on the amount of impressions and clicks this keyword gets in your AdWords account. 

However, there are a few things that you can look at if you see a low relevance score for your keywords.

Are your keywords 'really' relevant?

Suppose I'm selling red shoes and my keyword is 'red shoes', it is very much relevant! But what if I sell 'red shoes' in a shop near 'White fields'? Is 'White fields' relevant to my ad? In the real world, maybe it is. But in Google AdWords way, it’s not! Let me give you another example, let's say I teach people how to invest well in property. Is 'property' a relevant keyword for me - maybe. But what is more relevant is 'Property investment tips.'

Useful Tips:

1. Use the Keyword tool to see how popular and relevant your keyword really is. Sometimes, we may think that our keyword is very relevant and people must be searching for it , but the keyword tool reveals a completely different picture!

2. Go with the keywords which are highly relevant and directly related to your product/service. But remember, although it's great to have the keywords included in your ad text and the landing page, it doesn't automatically mean that you would get a high relevance score. 

3. Try to keep the other keywords in the same ad group tightly themed as well, as this helps build a higher relevancy score for all the keywords.

4. Depending on your requirements, use keyword matching wisely. Monitor the CTR of your keywords and adjust your bids and/or match types to ensure a healthy CTR as this will impact the relevancy factor in a big way!

Are your keywords new?

This is a very interesting point! For new keywords added to your account, the AdWords system gives them a default score as it’s likely that these keywords have already gathered traffic and history in other accounts. In these cases, your keyword's quality will be influenced based on the past performance history of these keywords. If these keywords have poor history, the keyword may be assigned a poorer quality and relevance score even if they are highly relevant literally. 

However, as soon as they run in your account, they will begin to build up their own history. As we gain individual account history for these keywords, they will be weighted more strongly than overall performance history. The length of time that this will take depends on the volume of impressions that the keyword receives. The greater the number of impressions, the more information we’re able to factor into the Quality Score.

Useful Tips:

1. Try to keep your bids above the ‘estimated first page bid’ and if possible above the ‘top of page bid’ initially so that your keywords may get more impressions, a higher position and more clicks. This will help you in improving the CTR, relevance and quality score. Having a high quality score helps in bringing down your cost later as it leads to a lower bid requirement

2. Give a few weeks before your relevance and quality score stabilizes, especially if you see a low relevance and quality score for your new keywords

I will be back with more such scenarios and suggestions for getting a higher relevance and quality score soon!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Hi Shilpi                       Thanks for sharinig the u...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Shilpi

Thanks for sharinig the useful information about poor keyword relevence. 

Chander kant

Re: Google AdWords: Why is my Keyword Relevance Poor?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Shilpi For The Update. Smiley Happy

This would help me point my clients to this post of yours to understand why quality score of keywords is low sometimes.

Regards,

Chetan.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Shilpi,

>> The greater the number of impressions, the more information we’re able to factor into the Quality Score. <<

Is it still true that only embedded exact match impressions are considered in the calculation of the Quality Score?

Lakatos

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Dear Lakatos,

You are right about the exact match CTR part. To elaborate this, I will take an excerpt from my colleague Tanmay's post about quality score sauce

We do take into account the exact match CTR of the keyword, as it’s a better indicator of the effectiveness of the keyword. (The exact match CTR refers to the number of times the keyword has triggered an ad when the search term exactly matched the keyword.) For example, if our keyword ‘red shoes' is in broad match, it triggers our ad even for search terms like 'red shoe’, ‘formal shoes’, ‘horse shoe,’ etc. However, the exact match statistics point out exactly when the keyword ‘red shoes’ triggered our ad and was clicked on by the user when he searched for the exact search term ‘red shoes’.  

However, besides the performance, the number of impressions for a given keyword also plays an important role in defining the Quality Score. This means that as more and more performance history keeps building up (in terms of impressions) at your account level, URL level, and keyword level, CTR starts playing a much bigger role in defining the Quality Score.

So, if you are a new advertiser, you would want more impressions for your keyword so that it may lead to more clicks and a good CTR. However, the exact match CTR is important and it means that you should not be randomly adding a high traffic keyword if it is not relevant to your product. 

So the key is to use relevant keywords and get more impressions and a high exact match CTR.

From my experience, phrase match is a good bet for advertisers who are starting off as it ensures that you get relevant traffic and good CTR and not random impressions which will lead to a poor CTR and a poor QS later on. However, it does depend on the kind of product or service you have. In some cases, you should probably stick to even exact match!

Hope this helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't get it.

If my ad, my entire account, is new - It is assigned poor relevance score.

If my ad has poor relevance  - my ad won't show. 

If my ad won't show - it will not get a better relevance.

And currently, some of my ads has relevance of 6/10. I offer three times the "estimated first page bid" and get no publicity at all - adwords tell me that my add won't show.

What am I doing wrong?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi there,

The ebay way to improve relevance is to ensure that your keyword is used in the ad and the ad delivers searchers to a relevant page. Even if your ad hasn't been activated yet, Google can crawl your landing pages to see if they pertain to the keywords in your account,

The easiest place to start is to revisit your ad copy. You may choose to make updates to your landing pages as well.

All that said, can you tell us what some of your quality scores are? Keywords with low quality score will still often show. Some keywords, like competitor names, will never have a high QS because to often can't use them in ads.

Hope this helps!