AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Google AdWords Language Settings

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello There,

I am bit confused about the language targeting in Google AdWords. I have a site which is targeting to multiple countries like Russia, Singapore, UK, Malaysia, Thailand. I have all campaigns stuff (Keywords, Ads, Landing pages) in English language. I have separate campaigns for each country for flexibility and targeted to local language along with English. For Ex, Thailand campaign will target to English and Thai language. Unfortunately, I don't have any conversion tracking on my site hence our core objective is driving calls from the site. We cannot add tracking pixel across all pages. So, it is very difficult to measure the success of traffic driving thru paid search promotions.

Now my question is, when I targeted to local language along with English language, I got huge bunch of traffic. After some time, my client asked me to control the cost from paid search then I removed the local language and targeted to only English. Then I observed a huge drop in impressions and clicks from campaigns (Almost 70% to 75% drop). Then I realizes we should be targeted to local language also to grab the potential customers. But my keywords and ad copies are in English. Then how Google will consider my stuff and throw my add to the users who are searching in their local language? As per Google, they wont translate ad copies based on the language, but what is case of keywords? Are they automatically translate the local search queries in English and look-up in my campaigns to trigger ad?

Also, I strongly believe, Thai user will see ad in English upon finishing his search and clicked on my add. After landing on my site, based on the user browser language settings Google will throw a message to convert the landing page in that language. Am I on the correct page? In the complete whole process, user will only see an ad in English and rest of all he can navigate with hassle free?

Also, can anybody share some thoughts on how could I manage different languages with a same landing page.

Thanks in advance.

Karim SK.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author karimulla S
September 2015

Re: Google AdWords Language Settings

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

I think that your initial setting was correct;

Adwords does not translate;

With your initial setting you targeted users who speak both English and Thai. They might run searches in English, but their browser perfences (the main signal by which Google identifies the user's language) is set to Thai.

So I would look at other  optimization options to lower the budget, but will keep the language  targeting as initially set

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author karimulla S
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

I think that your initial setting was correct;

Adwords does not translate;

With your initial setting you targeted users who speak both English and Thai. They might run searches in English, but their browser perfences (the main signal by which Google identifies the user's language) is set to Thai.

So I would look at other  optimization options to lower the budget, but will keep the language  targeting as initially set

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello MosheTLV,

Thanks for your suggestions. I am also on the same thought. Even they are searching in English or Thai, their browser preferences might be set almost to Thai. So targeting to both languages is the ideal option.

Thanks,
Karim SK.