2.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Getting relevant clicks - Google Shopping

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all I have a google shopping campaign set up and have taken over half way through someone else setting this up so trying to make sense of it all. 

The products on my feed at first kept expiring and I was loosing sales, google told me I have to change the date every month on the feed. In the end Ive ended up paying my website developer £15 per month to keep the feed from expiring. 

I noticed I'd sold £90 worth of stock but this cost me £26, which I think is too expensive, so I called google who suggested some changes:

• Add negative keywords to reduce CPC

• Increased the bid adjustments on Desktops and Tablets by 10% each to increase traffic and get more conversions.
  • Increased the bid adjustments on Saturday and Sunday by 10% each to increase traffic and get more conversions.

Google told me to monitor the account for 1 month. Are these changes honest? And if anyone has any better advice I would like to welcome you with open arms. 

Lisa

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Getting relevant clicks - Google Shopping

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to google

What you will soon find out is that Google will send you from pillar to post and flog you of just to keep you spending, you will probably have all ready talked to a call centre and they will have advised you on how to set up the Adwords account but they probably haven't been able to answer your questions.

Then "An Expert" on here will keep sending you links to read through, with no clue to how to answer your valid questions.

First thing do not spend any more money on SEO rats its a money pit they can only work with your website if in your eyes your website is good then that's that.

All Google looks at is,

1, Your website domain name, does it say anything about what you do.

2, Do headers and footers include what you do and do you have an address of business.

3, In the first line of your home page do you have Key words of what you company is all about and if you targeting a local area to you, is that included in this text.

4, Your META tags on your webpage should have Key words for what you do.

After all this there really is no more an SEO company can do.

What Google will tell you is to expect a lot of browsing, I have been on the end of this pearl of wisdom which is no go to no one, Basically Google are saying keep spending the money and see how it goes, which is true to any advertising but it is soul destroying when you see the click through rate and nothing to show for it.

Put your web address on here I'll take a look and maybe an "Expert" will give you some time too.

Gary 

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Lisa,

Inventory: Which platform are you using for eCommerce? Standard platforms like Magento allow direct linking with Merchant Center which means changes made to your catalog can directly be pushed to Merchant Center. This could save you £15 a month.

Google's suggestions: It might be tough to weigh these changes without taking a look at performance. From what I can see here, your revenue to cost is about 3.5. You might want to look at other costs to understand if you are actually profitable.

My suggestion for Google Shopping: Apart from adding negatives, it is very important to check your bids at a product level. That will decide how much you pay for top revenue generating products Vs lesser ones, thereby increasing your ROI.

Feel free to write back!

Sumanth Sridhar

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Your developer should be able to set up the feed to automatically pull/renew each month so that you don't have to keep paying each month.

Definitely be checking your search query reports and adding negative keywords where needed.  It can definitely take a month to optimize, but you should be making daily changes during that time.

Your return on ad spend will improve over time if you are monitoring it very closely and adjusting bids based on what is converting/not converting.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply Gary, the website that I use was built by a web designer as a bespoke CMS, so there is only so much I can change with regards to headers and footers. I can change meta data though and every time I create a new product the data is added about that product.

Thanks for the tips about SEO but it was google adwords that I wanted some advice about.

Here is the website though: http://www.feetlife.co.uk/

Lisa

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sumanth

I use a bespoke CMS that was built by a web designer a few years ago now. Thanks for the tip about Magenta though.

I have looked at my google shopping cost this weekend and the revenue was £80 but the cost was at £30. Google told me to increase bidding at the weekends as this was our busiest time. I don't see any improvement so far, as no extra transactions have been made!  

What do you mean by check bids at a product level?

Lisa

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Shanee

It was my developer that has charged me £15 per month for the feed to pull automatically! So I'm guessing hes ripping me off then.

Thanks for the tips, I will set a day a week to look at the search query reports and look at the keywords to see which ones are converting. 

Great advice thanks

Lisa

Re: Getting relevant clicks - Google Shopping

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Lisa,

Website and meta tags look good, your not really area specific. IE you could get orders from anywhere this is when up are open to

I would set a budget that you think can afford and not what Google Adwords tells you and localise your search with 1 of your ads.

People do browse so maybe keep the browsing to a minimum say 10-15miles of where you operate from then build on that. 

Also it's not Adword but get on Google Business maps.

You may also know this but Facebook and Groupon are great for what you do.

Gaz