AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Getting leads located outside of my geo targeted campaign area?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have set up 3 campaigns, each of which is geotargeted to a specific county in Massachusetts, but I continue to regularly get leads from outside the state of Mass. Have been trying to determine the cause, but can't seem to find an explanation that makes sense. Any input would be really appreciated. Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author mr131333
September 2015

Re: Getting leads located outside of my geo targeted campaign area?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi mr131333

What are your advanced location settings? If they are set to "people searching in or about my targeted location" then you could be easily be receiving clicks from people outside of your targeted location as those people are searching about your targeted location.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author mr131333
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi mr131333

What are your advanced location settings? If they are set to "people searching in or about my targeted location" then you could be easily be receiving clicks from people outside of your targeted location as those people are searching about your targeted location.

Hope this helps

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi mr131333,

Clynton is bang on here with the advanced targeting setting advice. You should probably check for the same and make appropriate changes to ensure that you keep the setting to 'people in my targeted location' only.

This should help you limit your ads from showing up outside your targeted location thereby curbing any users outside your targeting from seeing your ads.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Perfect! Not sure how I managed to overlook this. Thanks for solving the problem! Smiley Happy

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Glad we could help out! Smiley Happy
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have found that this does not resolve the issue, especially for traffic coming from a mobile device. Does anyone have any idea why we would still get clicks from outside or specific location?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Richard,

Could you maybe share some specifics about your particular problem? What level of location targeting are we talking here? Cities? Countries? How frequently are you getting 'outside' queries in comparison to normal? 1 in 10? 1 in every few thousand?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Richard--We have been having the same problem. I spoke to a Google adwords rep about it and was told it likely had to do w/cookies on a computer that had previously been in our targeted areas and then moved to an place outside of that target area. I still have a hard time understanding why it is that Google knows that the person is outside my target area (as shown in Google Analytics) but still shows them the ad. When I find that happening, I add the new areas to our "excluded" locations.

Getting leads located outside of my geo targeted campaign area?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a similar problem, but on a larger scale. For example, I target the USA, but keep getting leads from Africa and China. When they speak with sales reps, they say they have never been in the USA. I have my settings targeting "people in my included locations". Any ideas why would this be happening?