AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Geolocation and Inclusion of City Name in Ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If I set my geolocation to a particular city should I include the city name in my adwords campaign? If not, is there any benefit to me adding the city to the ad?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Geolocation and Inclusion of City Name in Ad

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Rosemary.
You don't have to, but I'd recommend testing at least one ad per ad group with the location in the ad text. In my experience, it has produced great results.

You might also want to take a look at location extensions and call out extensions. This will give you the ability to add the location data to your ads too in certain circumstances.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Rosemary.
You don't have to, but I'd recommend testing at least one ad per ad group with the location in the ad text. In my experience, it has produced great results.

You might also want to take a look at location extensions and call out extensions. This will give you the ability to add the location data to your ads too in certain circumstances.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rosemary,

I would also recommend you to include the city name in your ad as it will improve the relevancy of your ad with the keywords targeted and will help your Quality score to increase which will further help you to pay less for the clicks on your ads.

Regards,
Ashish

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Ashish
That's not entirely true. There's no evidence that having the location in the ad text improves relevancy. In fact, I've seen times where it has caused the CTR (and hence quality score) to reduce.

Like anything in AdWords, this should be tested.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dave,

I am not saying that by just including the location name in ad text improves the QS and it improves every time, an ad copy as a whole should be relevant in order to help improve QS. And yes, after creating a good relevant ad and also including the location name in ad it does help in improving the QS especially for the keywords that also include the location name and I have seen non-location keywords with improved QS when location name is included in the ad, not in one account but many accounts.

Regards,
Ashish