3.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Geo targeting exclude or include - Targeting states w zip code lists

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Which type of targeting would you choose if you had to target 7,394?

These zips are going into 8 separate campaigns for 8 different companys that all sell the same service, but control different geographical regions.

I was able to add the 7,394 zips but traffic seem low and I talked to a Google REp onthe phone that says Zips are only good if Google can be 100% sure the searchers in that zip code, so if they are unsure then Google will not show the ad.

So, I could move on to radius targeting around cities,

- or -

picking a whole states and then just excluding the counties I do not have zips in >> WHich one will give me more impressions and confuse the Adwords Auctions less??

7,394 Zip Codes {and going to add the full amount next 19,444 zip codes}
>> which covers 4275 cities
>> which covers 426 county
>> in 27 states

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Geo targeting exclude or include - Targeting states w zip code lis

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I personally think that radius targeting is less accurate than other targeting methods. But others might suggest otherwise.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So would you then suggest selecting whole states and then excluding counties?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Can you target by city limit?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
I agree with Moshe's opinion. I would suggest the 2nd option since you can attract more target and it's more strategize.

Good luck Smiley Happy.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@MosheTLV is city limit a Adwords function or something I would need to extract from the ZipCodes I have?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
You should be able to target by city limit.
Check this link ( look at "How to target within a country")
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722043?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@MosheTLV so by city limits you just mean picking a city like whole city Boston, or Atlanta because it would contain the zip codes I want?

That will probably work well, and I will try the US counties that divide up the US states. I was looking at the radius because that is the only smaller geotargeting that is shared by Bing and Adwords, and Bing has a limit of 255 total locations per campaigns so loading cities will fill to many slots, but the radius works to capture multiple cities.

But, I can see how grabbing cities in Google or the counties would be better then multiple radii as the Adwords Algo might get haze in terms of 50 miles radius from a city.

This is just a tough one to pin point on the best practice and get the most views, and I would have even know if the Google Rep hadn't tipped me off to the fact that the zip targeting has to be very sure the user is in the actual zipcode.