AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Geo-targeting conflicts btw different accounts?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

We manage some AdWords accounts for specialty-medical offices.  We geo-target using zip codes.  One of our clients is in a suburb on the East side of Houston.  His zip codes are mainly East of Houston, but some of the zip codes are within Houston's city limits.  

We're looking at bringing on another account in a suburb West of Houston with geo-targeting that includes different zip codes within the city limits of Houston (on the opposite side).

These two offices don't actually compete against each other, but I'm anticipating issues w/ AdWords b/c of their geo-targeting limitations.  Because their ads are very similar, we really don't want them to show simultaneously.  What kind of problems should I anticipate?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Geo-targeting conflicts btw different accounts?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello cotton9;

This is a nice question;

Since Geo- targeting is not perfect, there could be some overlapping . (i.e. A user in one zip code will get to see the other zip code ad)

A suggestion: since we are talking about the same company / same service - why not to target Houston as one location, in one campaign, with location extension for the different offices/ branches?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for your comment,

It's actually not the same company. It's two different companies that offer very similar services, and we have to send the traffic to two different websites.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again cotton9

Hmmm...there is not much to do, but to recognize that technology is not perfect... Smiley Surprised There will be times when a user's IP might be assigned to the wrong zip code, and (the user ) will be shown the other ad. (Though, I am quite confident that zip code targeting had been tested before launching, thus, the number of errors should not be minimal.)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’