AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Geo targeted campaign and broad keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm setting up a campaign that's targeted for several neighborhoods in one city. The idea is to split the neighborhoods by AdGroups and create personalized Text Ads that trigger when someone searches for the company inside that area.

Now I've set that all of the keywords inside one adgroup require that the name of the neighborhood is a part of the search query (+neighborhood +keyword) in order to make sure that the relevant ads show, I want to avoid having for example Bronx bakery text ad show up for the Brooklyn bakery search query. 

I'm just having some double thoughts about the traffic. If I insert regular broad keywords like "local bakery", which are more likely to get impressions, they could trigger any of the targeted text ads. 

Any tips? Thanks.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marko D
June 2017

Re: Geo targeted campaign and broad keywords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Marko D,

First off, you are advised to consider creating a separate campaign for each neighborhood because geo-targeting is a campaign level feature. Thus you'll be able to target a campaign at each neighborhood. The snip shows targeting Bronx by the Location Targeting feature.

Capture0jun15b.JPG

If you use the account structure described above regular broad keywords like "local bakery" will be unlikely to cause an issue no matter which campaign they are housed by. Additionally you'll be allowed to set a separate daily budget for each neighborhood you target. - Under advanced Location features remember to select the options that contain the words 'People in my .. location'.

Best,

Lakatos

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marko D
June 2017

Re: Geo targeted campaign and broad keywords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Marko D,

First off, you are advised to consider creating a separate campaign for each neighborhood because geo-targeting is a campaign level feature. Thus you'll be able to target a campaign at each neighborhood. The snip shows targeting Bronx by the Location Targeting feature.

Capture0jun15b.JPG

If you use the account structure described above regular broad keywords like "local bakery" will be unlikely to cause an issue no matter which campaign they are housed by. Additionally you'll be allowed to set a separate daily budget for each neighborhood you target. - Under advanced Location features remember to select the options that contain the words 'People in my .. location'.

Best,

Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I understand that you are targeting the USA. In the US the Geo targeting is accurate. So adding the neighborhood  name within the keyword is a redundancy.  Set a Geo is targeting at the campaign level  by radii, district or zip-code 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good description, I understand perfectly. Thank you very much!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Don't try this at home.... unless home is the US!

This approach is great where Google's targeting is accurate... outside of the US the targeting is poor at best and alternative approaches should be considered.

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

You can do it by creating a "local bakery/bakery near me" campaign for each neighborhood...sounds like a lot of work, but if you use AdWords editor, you can basically create it once, then copy/paste it.  Use the Search/Replace and you can swap Bronx for Brooklyn, etc in all ad copy, update the ad urls, and change the geo-targeting setting and you are good to go.