1.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Geo Targeting

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi- I wanted to target the keywords "maryland real estate license" for residents who live in DC or MD. Do I need to put in the state as part of the keyword in ad groups if I'm targeting "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location " ? Or do the keywords w/o the state suffice? Put another way, is there a downside to including the location with the rest of my keword phrase?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Geo Targeting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello;
There is no down size. I would just be a redundancy.
I would include only the location name of a small neighborhood or a suburb if you wish to focus specifically on any.
Otherwise, It would be a redundancy and just "expand" your list of keywords.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I should note that I will have 2 campaigns going with 2 different budgets. Both campaigns focus on people living in both states. However, one campaign focuses on those only interested in Dc license. Whereas the other focuses on those trying to a MD real estate license. And both link to different landing pages

How do I set this up so that someone living in one state gets to see both ads when they Google for, say, "real estate license". As I understand it, the maryland resident will only see an ad for "maryland real estate license" and won't see my ad for "dc real estate license".
This is why I asked about putting in the state as part of the keyword phrase I'm targeting.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again;

Only one ad per account will be shown on the search results page (in a given targeted Geo-region)

If two campaigns targeting the same Geo region, the keywords will compete, and you could end up with the wrong ad shown

Thus; separating the campaigns each targeting a different geographic region (MD and DC) is the correct way,

For each region, set  a campaign using the keywords you wish. Since Geo targeting works pretty well in the US, the Geo-regions should not have overlapping areas. (Target by zip codes, or radiuses.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the clarity. I think one thing I want to correct you on is when you said;

>>>Thus; separating the campaigns each targeting a different geographic region (MD and DC) is the correct way,

For each region, set  a campaign using the keywords you wish. Since Geo targeting works pretty well in the US, the Geo-regions should not have overlapping areas. (Target by zip codes, or radiuses.)

I actually want both campaigns to target the same exact regions. Because we don't know if the person is interested in taking a class in DC or MD. It would ruin the campaign if I simply targeted DC residents with a DC ad because it leaves out MD residents and vice versa. Eg; Just because they live in DC doesn't meant they may not be interested in taking a MD class to get a MD license. Is there some other way of doing this?

Perhaps best just to create two campaigns. Both campaigns target the same exact regions but leads to has different ad copy advertising the class?

Thanks for your help again Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Well... the issue here is that per Google's Policy (aka "double serving") both campaign can't be shown sinoultously on the same results page (when targeting the same Geo region).

So, if both campaigns target both regions,  all keywords (in both campaigns) will compete on which keyword will trigger the ad.

So, I would not recommend that

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Do you think I should just input the state into every keyword I'm competing for? So Campaign A targets keywords + State A. Campaign B targets the same keywords + State B.

This is very tedious work though given there is the state abbreviation (MD) and fully spelled out (Maryland). Not sure what other solution is possible....

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I do not think you should do that. This would be a redundancy with no added value.
I would find a way to set two separate campaigns: one targeting MD and the other targeting DC