1.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Geo Targeting vs. Bid Adjustments

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a client who is an international manufacturer of industrial components. They have an account that is US only. They want to increase their business in NY state, and I have been instructed to create a Campaign that will Geo Target NY.

My problem is that the client is not going to be selling anything different than the current national campaign. They want the same categories in the NY Campaign as they are running in the national campaigns already established. This is true for both Ads and Keywords. I would have to exclude NY from the established campaigns, and the re-create everything for a NY only campaign, correct?

I believe that it would be a better use of the money (the client is willing to spend an extra 20% on the NY campaign) to simply put a bid adjustment on all of the existing campaigns for NY. Am I missing something? Is there a benefit I don't see?

Scott

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
July

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

All is fine. This  is the approach a common advertiser would take,

If the client is willing to spend more, I would allocate the additional budget for mobile.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
July

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

All is fine. This  is the approach a common advertiser would take,

If the client is willing to spend more, I would allocate the additional budget for mobile.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Scott,

It takes no effort to duplicate a campaign using AdWords Editor. Regardless of the size, takes just a minute.

By having a campaign just for NY, you get to:

1) Easily see the results for just NY at the top level

2) Control the NY budget
3) See the NY impression share more easily

4) Optimise for NY more easily 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you @MosheTLV. It's the kind of thing I was thinking about.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you @RobSkelton! That's a great list of benefits. I hadn't thought of that level of control/reporting.

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Like @RobSkelton said, just copy and paste the campaign, then change the targeting to NY, and exclude NY from the existing campaign. If the client wants to see X amount of the budget allocated to one specific location, then that's the best/easiest way to go about it.

Tom