AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Geo Targeting Conflict between neighborhood name and a city in Texas causes ads not to show.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a design showroom in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, DC and would like to use "georgetown" in my keyword phrases since potential clients associate design with this neighborhood.  

However, keywords with "georgetown" in them don't get shown because Adwords associates it with Georgetown, TX ("The location terms in this keyword can affect where your ads show. Location: Georgetown, Texas, United States") and I have geotargetting set for my area only (DC area).  How do I get these to be shown.

Thank you!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Geo Targeting Conflict between neighborhood name and a city in Texas causes ads not to show.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Austin1048,

First, I can tell you that this part of campaign set up can get confusing so I hope I explain it well.

What I would suggest to you is to set your geo-targeting and location targeting settings as follows:

Geo-target the zip codes (this features is very new by the way) or as you have it with radius targeting, you would like to serve your ads to (I'm assuming you're only serving a small area) and set your Advanced Location Targeting settings (this feature is also very new by the way) :

Target: People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location.

Exclude:  People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my excluded location

If I've explained this correctly, the theory here is that if you specifically target a geographic region, by zip code or radius, and target people within that region, people searching for or viewing pages about that region, you'll in essence be serving ads to those who are seeking your services that are within your pre-set geographic area ONLY.

There is no longer a need to actually exclude regions now, if they are not targeted, they are considered excluded.

So you can choose to use your local keywords or not and by setting up your targeting correctly, you should have no conflicts with Texas.  Even if your keywords are showing 'low search volume' it's okay to let them run.  Once your campaign has been running for a bit, you can examine your search terms reports and find out exactly which keywords are driving traffic to your site.

Did I answer your questions?  Are you using the ad preview tool to see that they are 'not showing'?  Make sure you are setting the correct location before you test your searches. 

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: Geo Targeting Conflict between neighborhood name and a city in Texas causes ads not to show.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Austin 1048, and welcome to adWords community;

With the new targeting method in place (for just about a week) have you tried the following settings?:

1. Target : Georgetown Washing DC using zip code;
  2. Exclude: Georgetown TX, choosing: "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my excluded location",

That should NOT let impressions for Georgetown TX, regardless if users are located or interested in Georgetown TX

I'm eager to know, if that would work; meaning that, AdWords developers DID consider this case, and similar, when developing the new targeting tab (launched just 5 days ago...). It is very interesting to see if AdWords can distinct /isolate search queries by intent about Georgetown TX, from search queries by intent about Georgetown DC, given that you exclude the AREA of Georgetown TX.

Please try, and come back to us with your findings

-Moshe

[edited]: Again. my keyboard typing is slower than Tom's, so he was posting while I was still typing my answer. However, both of us, I think, are suggesting a solution along the same line... Smiley Happy

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

The ad preview and keyword diagnosis tools can be misleading sometimes. First of all, do you have any impressions for those keywords? If so, ads are running, and you can use more tools to help determine whether or not they are showing to the right people.

Let's make sure we are all on the same page with the location targeting settings:

When I try to target Geowgretown Washington DC, I get this error message:

"We could not understand the location 'georgetown washington dc'. It either doesn't exist or is not available for targeting in AdWords."

A Location like Miluwaukie Or. is not available as a location to target either. Milwaukie is a city, but it's part of the Portland city, or Portland Metro targeting area. Georgetown does exist, but not as a location to target, or search from according to the google machine.

"I have geotargetting set for my area only (DC area)." 

DC, seems to be considered (to some degree to be at least a part of) Hagerstown, MD by google. Make sure your preview tool is set to the DC are you are targeting as the search location (That may have to be Hagerstown MD). If the tool is set to entire US, then it may think you want to see an ad targeted to Georgetown TX Which, is an area officially recognized to exist by the google machine. 

The advanced targeting options is a little tricky. 

If you target "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location (recommended)" then you may show ads to users in, or searching for Georgetown Texas.

To try and prevent that select "People in my targeted location"  and exclude "People in my excluded location".

As long as you are only targeting the DC area (however that is being determined), no users in Texas, or searching about Texas should be seeing your ads. Then you could be confident whatever impressions you are getting, came from your target area.

Try this:

Enable the dimensions tab, and set your view to Geographic. Select the columns tab, and make sure you have all the levels of detail enabled. Then you can see if users in DC are seeing the ads. Set your preview tool to the reported location(s), and then try to preview your KW's.

To make sure users searching for Georgetown phrases in DC can see your ads, try using a broader match type. 'showroom' in broad match, (with the above targeting settings) should allow any user in your targeted area to see your ad, but no users outside your area. 'showroom' could also trigger an ad for the query 'auto showroom' and other irrelavent queries. So, then add negative broad match terms like 'auto'. Continue to use the search terms report to add relavent keywords, and exclude irrelavent terms as negative keywords. The report will tell you what users in your area are searching for. Maybe they think of the Georgetown area in another way?

Tom

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Moshe,

I think we're on the same wavelength here and you're not slow you're deliberate. Smiley Happy It's good to have confirmation on an idea, not only for me but for Austin too.

@Tomjr

I need help, just saw your post!

"If you target "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location (recommended)" then you may show ads to users in, or searching for Georgetown Texas."

If we're not physically targeting Georgetown Texas, this shouldn't happen, but given the nature of the keywords in question, I guess it could be possible.  Are you basing this off of the fact that 'Georgetown' can mean many things?  How would a search about Portland be handled...Portland, ME or Portland, OR? 

I just ran a quick search on Georgetown Washington, DC - Google seems to know where that is.

These new settings are supposed to make things easier...gah

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: Geo Targeting combined with search intent

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Tomjr

I am "me too" with Tom's question.

Given that the OP wants to avoid his ads shown by search intent (users who include Georgetown TX in their search query, and are physically located outside DC, or located within DC searching on Georgetown TX...).

Therefore, if OP "exclude "People in my excluded location", he will not exclude those who search for Georgetown TX, by search intent.

-Moshe

PPCBossman wrote:

@Tomjr

I need help, just saw your post!

"If you target "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location (recommended)" then you may show ads to users in, or searching for Georgetown Texas."

If we're not physically targeting Georgetown Texas, this shouldn't happen, but given the nature of the keywords in question, I guess it could be possible. Are you basing this off of the fact that 'Georgetown' can mean many things? How would a search about Portland be handled...Portland, ME or Portland, OR?

I just ran a quick search on Georgetown Washington, DC - Google seems to know where that is.

These new settings are supposed to make things easier...gah

-Tom

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

The addition of a third advanced targeting option, and the re-defintions of those targeting options, is what has caused me concern. Whenever google adds an option, where ther was none previously, it seems a sign that "something" in the way that the google machine interprets "stuff" may have changed. Smiley Happy 

I think we both made the mistake Tom of making assumptions from what we each "see when searching on google", for anything. The point I was trying to make is that the preview tool, may not comprehend Georgetown DC as a location, because the reccomendations, suggestions, or available geogrphic targeting locations in the adwords interface don't recognize Georgetown DC, as an available targeting location.. The google machine, and the adwords program could know what the user intent is, and impressions from the geographic report could help verify that. It's also possible, that the google machine and adwords does not comprehend the user intent, and the geographic report could shed some light on that possibility as well. Either way, why think, when you can know. Smiley Happy

The long and short of it is, trust the data. Look at the impressions and other KPI's, using the tools at your disposal.

Tom