Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Generating Keywords list

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, 

I'm working on a keywords list for a high end mobile product campaign. I've already added the product related keywords, however I'm being told to add in variants of keywords for other flagship devices (competition products). 

For example, if my product is Haier Air Conditioner. keywords like Philips toaster, Kenwood air conditioner, Dawlence Fans etc. should be added. 

I'd like to know if that's a good practice? From my understanding I believe this would lead to lower Quality score and a low performing campaign. 

Also please suggest, what's the best practice for creating a search campaign for a product that has a low demand. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Generating Keywords list

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

The examples you have given are "synonymד" / competitor brand names.  Close  variants are plurals, gerund (i.e. ing-form), male / female (as much as this applies to English)

Close variants are "automatically" added. (i.e. when a user query is in a close variant form  - of a given keyword - the query is matched to this keyword.) But, definitely add competitors name as keywords. 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Amelia S
November 2015

Re: Generating Keywords list

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Amelia,

Some of the terms listed will more than likely give you a lower QS, but that doesn't mean they are not worthwhile bidding on. I'd recommend housing those keywords in a separate campaign, which will give you an extra level of control over budgets, delivery etc. If you then decide that these terms are not providing the required level of return, simply pause the campaign.

Kevin