AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4K members online now
4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

GDN targeting scenario

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Could you advise me on the following ad targeting scenario for GDN. I am aware that industry and product specifics would be important to make a sensible conclusion on the issue, but if we are to talk in general:

If I am to set the following set of targeting criteria:

managed placements – bid only

+ kws selection– target&bid

+ topics selection– target&bid

1. This setting deprives me from the opportunity that the automatic placement offer, so is it better to start with  automatic and after converting a satisfactory list of relevant sites to managed (currently the display planner suggestion tool offers me only a single site, that I really find interesting to post an ad to), switch off the automatic placement?

2. Is kw and topic combination (target&bid) targeting the best way to go for website traffic increase goals?

3. If we accept that I am to pursue this setting, how should I distribute this in terms of # of adgroups, while keeping in mind that I will test both text and image ad formats (say, a couple variations each)?

Thanks a lot, and I apologize for the simple question(s) ...

Cheers,

Nevyana

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GDN targeting scenario

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Nevyana
There is an article about the topic that could clarify the recommended approach;
Display Network - How many Targeting Methods to choose?
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Articles/Display-Network-How-many-Targeting-Methods-to-cho...
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Nivayana,

Q. 1. This setting deprives me from the opportunity that the automatic placement offer, so is it better to start with  automatic and after converting a satisfactory list of relevant sites to managed (currently the display planner suggestion tool offers me only a single site, that I really find interesting to post an ad to), switch off the automatic placement?

Ans- I will recommend to use Automatic Placements and add your Performing Placement sites into Manage Placement lists as per data and filter the non performing placements sites and added those in negative placement lists (in terms of not getting ROI from non performing placements sites.)

2. Is kw and topic combination (target&bid) targeting the best way to go for website traffic increase goals?

Ans -  The both combination might be narrow your targeting and you will received less number of traffic and its depend on your target locations also. Or you can run this combination and according to performance you can optimize your ad groups and take decision further.

3. If we accept that I am to pursue this setting, how should I distribute this in terms of # of adgroups, while keeping in mind that I will test both text and image ad formats (say, a couple variations each)?

Ans - If i am getting this question correctly then my answer will be - You can distribute the ad groups in 2 Manage Placement, Contexual + Topics Ad Groups (You can exclude those placements sites in this ad groups which you are using in Manage Placement Ad Groups.). You can test both types of ads and optimize according to performance data.

You can also go through to know more about Display Network Target Setting - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1209882?hl=en&ref_topic=3121944

Please let us know if you have any query on this.

Thanks,

Anand

Google+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks MosheTVL,

I like your post. According to your advice I assume that having kws (10-15 phrases tops) and topics targeting would be a better option than burdening the campaign with placements criteria as well.

I am willing to agree with that and leave the placements filter aside for now. Especially when the display planner does not give me a broad/useful enough set for deciding on placement lists, and I don't have a campaign history to work with to prepare a site lists.

I will, however monitor and exclude placements on the go, I hope adding some of them to 'managed' is something you'd recommend as well?

And in regard to the ad formats, would it be best to create an adgroup for say 2-3 text ad variations and another for 2-3 image ads, all sharing the same kws and topic filters?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your reply Anand!

In regard to your third reply. So if I am to base my campaign on kws + topic filters, the default (automated placements) is applied, right? So in case I exclude something from the placement lists, do I automatically create a Managed placement filter and adgroup to it or not?

Thanks for the link, but I've covered it alreadySmiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Nevyana K;

>>" I will, however monitor and exclude placements on the go, I hope adding some of them to 'managed' is something you'd recommend as well? - I prefer only to exclude  places which do not convert. Managed placements would work only if  you have a list of the 20-30 best converting sit in the business.

>>"Would it be better to create an adgroup for say 2-3 text ad variations and another for 2-3 image ads, all sharing the same kws and topic filters? - GDN works best with banner ads. Create all sizes available and separate them into ad groups (extra small banners, small, medium, large and extra large banners) - Bid accordingly - bid the highest on the ad group with the biggest banners. If you use text ads - create a separate ad group for text ads. Use the lowest bid for a text ad.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’