AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4K members online now
4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

GDN negative keywords question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

New to AdWords and I would like some clarification on negative keyword targeting in the GDN. I wish to target people who enjoy watching videos on YouTube about X, but are not currently interested in learning how to do X. Thus, they wouldn't be watching tutorial or instructional videos. 

I was thinking to add negative keywords such as 'tutorial' or 'how' or 'learn', but I hear that negative keywords do not work as well as they do in the search network. I read somewhere that even if a 'X tutorial' video appears in the related videos that my ad will not appear, even if they are actually watching a video about X, thus missing a potential customer/click. Is there a way around this? Is what I read correct? Could you suggest some other strategies?

Thanks so much,

Julian

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GDN negative keywords question

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Well... Generally speaking, you are on the right track...

Keywords on display work a little different; They collectively create a theme.

Thus, they are broader in nature and not specific.  (To create a "uniform idea" of the topic you are targeting -  aka  a theme)

Each KW has a "weight" (determined by the system)  within the theme. The theme is matched to pages that are found similar in content.

When you add a negative KW, the system will minimize the impressions  of the ad on pages correlated   to the theme which also include the negative KWs in the page content. However, if the theme is strongly "dominant"  relative to the negative KW -  the ad might be shown.

So, to conclude: negative KWs on the display  minimize / lower the impressions, but not necessarily eliminate them.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much!

If the negative keywords will minimize the impressions on these certain videos, then it certainly is better than nothing! It seems as though I should just test it out and see how it works.

Thanks again!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

On a second thought,  I would rephrase to reduce /decrease rather than minimize. But you got the idea...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’