AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

GDN - Why use image ads at all?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi all. I've searched around and found some helpful information, but nothing which explains why I should use image ads at all when text ads perform well. Here are the basics of my situation...

1. Been running a [mostly] successful Display campaign using only text ads since February 2017. Got lucky with keyword bids only and automatic placements without any optimization.
  2. Began learning to optimize (writing new and better ads, increasing CPC for high-converting placements, disabling low-performing keywords, modifying bids for time of the day + devices, increasing Max CPC as competition fluctuates)
  3. Currently spending $300/day with mostly great ROI.

My question is... what is the incentive to use image ads at all? My relative CTR for my ad group [with text ads] hovers anywhere from 1.5x to 2.7x. I was told by a Google rep that image ads can be served on sites that opt-out of text ads and therefore introducing image ads in a campaign can increase impressions.

So I created and inserted some image ads (with several sizes) under a duplicate ad group in the existing campaign. But what I found is that at my current Max CPC I'm getting only a few impressions per day... as in like, 50 impressions. I've searched online and read that image ads perform nearly identically (in CTR, conversions, and average CPA) as their text ad counterparts, yet they can be much more expensive per click. Even if I were to increase my Max CPC for these image ads, I wouldn't want them to compete with my current text ads placements which do extremely well.

Given that they are more costly yet perform equally, why should I use them at all? Has anyone had a different experience, better returns, etc. using image ads?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there @christopher m

Well... If we set aside which ad performs better (which is dependent  on the ad-copy, the banner design, the vertical...) the number of ad units available on publisher site for ad text is rather limited compared to banners, this is a major consideration if you what significant  exposure on the display network.

Once you use banners, make sure that you have  ad-groups with all banner sizes. This could be a reason (in addition to bid) that you might have not received, then the number of impressions you should have: if an image ad  wins a slot and no banner -which fits the slot size  - is available, then the image ad is not shown.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Google seems to be moving towards eliminating text ads entirely for the display network. You can't even create a new text ad for display through the AdWords UI anymore (I assume you are either using the AdWords editor, or just changing existing ads?). So, it makes sense to at least continue to experiment with "image" ads, using the content from the text ads that you know perform well, until you find something that works.

There are many different types of display ads. Just because an ad type includes images, or is in a banner size, doesn't mean that it's technically and "image" ad. Responsive ads are pretty much the new text ads for display, but they look more like traditional image ads. So yes, I have seen examples recently where "image" ads perform better than text ads - Especially when the "image" ad type is a responsive ad. I can get the same messaging (more or less) with responsive ads as text ads, and include an image, in multiple sizes.

Tom

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks, but I should clarify. When I say "text" ads I mean responsive text ads. Given that I jumped in just this past February​, those are the only version of texts ads I've ever had the option of using. So yes, my responsive text ads perform extremely​ well, as I'm sure they are often shown to appear as image ads.

Which again, only further causes me to wonder my original question... Why use image ads at all?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Responsive ads do not have the design you can create with banners. Further, with  banners, if you set different  banner sizes in different ad groups, you can bid higher on the bigger ones. Currently, this option is not available with responsive ads which  is a disadvantage when competing for big ad slots.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’