Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

GDN Remarketing for Multinational Website

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all Smiley Happy

I'm trying to setup GDN remarketing campaign for my website. It is a multinational website which covers some Asian countries like Singapore, Malaysia and Taiwan. I have some experience with GDN for just one-country-targeted website but unfortunately no multinational one, yet.

Basically, most pages(e.g. front page) are integrated(consolidated) but just some important pages (like 'our service') are localized by language to provide tailor-made service for each country. These pages are separated by URLs like below:

- http://www.example.com/service/SG

- http://www.example.com/service/MY

- http://www.example.com/service/TW

I'd like to retarget visitors by each country, to show them localized display banners by country, selectively. My questions are:

1) GDN can divide visitors by country even though they visit integrated pages (e.g. front page) only?

2) How many GDN remarketing tags should I install on my website? Just 1 tag per webpage will do?

3) Could I get separated reports(data figures like imps, clicks, conversions, etc.) by each country?

Thanks for your help in advance!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GDN Remarketing for Multinational Website

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Now I'm not very good on this, so it may be that someone will need to expand on the things I say here. It'll do for a start at least.

For myself, I recommend slicing a campaign into geographical areas of around 20 million souls. You can do this at Ad group level using geotargeting. You can add and tweak as many as you like.

2) for myself I would have one remarketing tag - others may have reason to disagree - but I'll explain that Google Analytics will sort a lot of the mess out for you. The caveat here is whether the markets act in ways that are significantly different and need different pages for their remarketing. Does this make sense to you? You've got your feet on the ground so you'll be able to see the landscape of your markets better than I.

3) Google Analytics is a fantastically powerful tool. It'll tell you what toothpaste they used that morning. Okay, so the detail won't be that good, but the stuff you do get will have your eyes popping. You can refine your separated reports to age, demographics, almost anything. This is amazingly powerful especially if you're feeding this info into a Facebook campaign.

I hope this helped a little, gets you started thinking even if a few of the details are incorrect. I don't mind being put right by the real experts as they're wonderfully friendly.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

@DJ L

1) Ads in the GDN can be geo-targeted if you set different campaigns for different locations. If you put all the locations under the same campaign you can only do bid-adjustment to make the bids lower or higher depending on locations.

If the home page can take a visitor to sub-sites for all the countries, a visitor from Country1 can visit all those sub-sites. 

What you can do besides geo targeting is directing visitors to landing pages for their own country, not a "home page" which requires a suplementary click to choose the country.

2) Remarketing can be achieved through 2 codes. What Google reffers to as a "Remarketing Tag" is the code given in the AdWords interface and this one can be 1 code for all the pages. If you intend to use the remarketing code from the Google Analytics interface, it is a different story so please share what remarketing code do you use .

3) Reports in the AdWords interface can be segmented by country in the Dimensions tab. The Google Analytics also can divide Paid Traffic by country but it will not include conversions defined in adwords or impressions.

@ Gemma L

"You can do this at Ad group level using geotargeting. "

This could be a new feature from Google that is not available in my account, I only know of Campaign geo-targeting, meaning excluding locations , not adjusting bids.

At point 3 the OP requested impressions and conversions, these are not available in the Google Analytics. Why do you make a refference to feeding the AdWords data in a Facebook campaign, this I do not understand , but I do not require a clarification either so no need for reply.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
@Adrian. Thanks for the put-down. If you understood what data can do for you in advertising, you'd not need to question why it could be used in Facebook.

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
Gemma and Adrian,

Thank you for the great suggestions and feedback. In the interest of the community, it would be great to keep the the replies cordial. I've found both of you have a wealth of Adwords knowledge. Just remember thats there is not always one solution to an Adwords question. It's the different solutions offered by members like the both of you that makes this community a great place!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Dear John Paul,
if you've come across the MarketingProfs forum, you'll know the kind of people who put others down, and you'll know why they need to do it. Whilst the others on that forum have decades of experience, I even as the newbie have the best answer rate by a very clear margin.

Perhaps that's why they need to be defensive?

Yet a new guy, Saul Dobney wanders in, and starts chucking out taglines. He's snaffling all my points - but he's also brilliant, witty and funny. Well worth dropping a few points just to enjoy his repartee! He's the only other member of the forum who can match me for imagination - which is where the real difference in advertising lies. Plus he's inspiring and lifts the otherwise plodding atmosphere a little. The questioners appreciate him too.

What's more, it's imagination that's always been the make or break with advertising. Guys like Claude Hopkins, a direct marketer from the 1920s would be able to wield Adwords better than the professionals today. Allowing for the tiniest amount of training, of course. Because he knew how to communicate ideas.

Which is my point. The problem with Adwords is that you have to know where the ruddy buttons are. You have to know if it's at campaign level or ad group level ... only this kind of thinking will keep you working the algorithm. If you want better results, take a leaf out of Mr Hopkins' book and feed the algorithm stuff it either likes or hates. The results will stun you.

Guaranteed.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Gemma L wrote:
Dear John Paul,
if you've come across the MarketingProfs forum, you'll know the kind of people who put others down, and you'll know why they need to do it. Whilst the others on that forum have decades of experience, I even as the newbie have the best answer rate by a very clear margin.

Perhaps that's why they need to be defensive?

Yet a new guy, Saul Dobney wanders in, and starts chucking out taglines. He's snaffling all my points - but he's also brilliant, witty and funny. Well worth dropping a few points just to enjoy his repartee! He's the only other member of the forum who can match me for imagination - which is where the real difference in advertising lies. Plus he's inspiring and lifts the otherwise plodding atmosphere a little. The questioners appreciate him too.

What's more, it's imagination that's always been the make or break with advertising. Guys like Claude Hopkins, a direct marketer from the 1920s would be able to wield Adwords better than the professionals today. Allowing for the tiniest amount of training, of course. Because he knew how to communicate ideas.

Which is my point. The problem with Adwords is that you have to know where the ruddy buttons are. You have to know if it's at campaign level or ad group level ... only this kind of thinking will keep you working the algorithm. If you want better results, take a leaf out of Mr Hopkins' book and feed the algorithm stuff it either likes or hates. The results will stun you.

Guaranteed.

Gemma you are a great writer is what I can see from your posts. But people here are not asking for marketing strategies, they are talking and asking about using the Adwords Interface and also the various small parts of the business. Reading marketing and advertising theories from 1920's till today are not going to get my adwords account running. Would need to run them by learning. Geo Targeting is not possible on adgroup level. Would request you to read it. You might have got a lot of stars. But, I have seen a lot of your posts. Infact you even argued on my post in When Starting An Account - Should The CPC Bids Be Higher? From what I read from your replies, I got more confused with your posts. One suggestion, if you have done something wrong, acknowledge and stand for it.

You should write. Adwords has 70 character text ads. I really dont know, but being very clear, I dont think that ages, experiences matter. What really matters on this forum is the right answer. The right information. If you misguide newbies and also confuse others, it doesnt make sense. Its my personal opinion. I think, I need to voice it now.

I am not here to fight, argue or put anybody down, but i want to ask JP and Adrian and all others, that if some member is only confusing up the conversation, then does it make sense for a healthy conversation? does it help to come to this community?

I am clear to help, somewhere I go wrong, I dont argue, but accept it and move on. I also learn from there.

Gemma, I dont know how this is, but its very difficult to fight on such a strong business community.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

DJ L wrote:

Hi all Smiley Happy

I'm trying to setup GDN remarketing campaign for my website. It is a multinational website which covers some Asian countries like Singapore, Malaysia and Taiwan. I have some experience with GDN for just one-country-targeted website but unfortunately no multinational one, yet.

Basically, most pages(e.g. front page) are integrated(consolidated) but just some important pages (like 'our service') are localized by language to provide tailor-made service for each country. These pages are separated by URLs like below:

- http://www.example.com/service/SG

- http://www.example.com/service/MY

- http://www.example.com/service/TW

I'd like to retarget visitors by each country, to show them localized display banners by country, selectively. My questions are:

1) GDN can divide visitors by country even though they visit integrated pages (e.g. front page) only?

Yes you can do that. Simple task is create campaigns select locations for every country, exclude the ones for which you have already created campaigns.Now in those campaigns you can put adgroups which would show tailor made display ads for each country.

2) How many GDN remarketing tags should I install on my website? Just 1 tag per webpage will do?

Only one remarketing tag can solve this issue. I have worked on such an account, not a major problem infact.

3) Could I get separated reports(data figures like imps, clicks, conversions, etc.) by each country?

Yes, if you create seperate campaigns, then you already have seperate reports for all countries as it is.

Also, what Adrian informed you is correct, you would not get impression data. 

Thanks for your help in advance!

One point of important advice DJ L - If you have a very huge remarketing account with a huge budget, you should go for seperate accounts for each country. This would make your task easier. So I mean to say

If you have say 10 campaigns targeting all countries, create 3 different accounts, add all those 10 campaigns in each of those accounts. Set Geo Targetting according to your requirements.

Next plan should be to add remarketing campaigns into these 3 different accounts.

Then you would have 3 different remarketing codes and  it would be easy to manage this account.

Hope this helps.Man Happy

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Gemma, 

If you have doubts when writing about a technical fact in adwords, just open the interface and test it before, or search the forum for the latest update or the help center. I think your success will be doubled if you double-check what features are now available before clicking on "Post". Many things get updated without notification, there is no absolute truth , not even about technical settings. What is good today can be untrue in 6 months and what is a good advice about AdWords can be a bad advice for AdWords express for example.

I do not view stars as a measure of success, but rather instances when people say thank you for helping without clicking on star (which requires understanding of how this forum features work) or selecting the solution (one or more can be selected so no competition).

If you want to inflate you star level over night, as a virtual satisfaction, try participating in this quizz :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/From-the-Community-Team/3rd-Quizzical-Pursuit-Quick-AdWords-...

But with this you will not be helping anyone with a real account problem, except for the forum to rank organically high for the expressions "quiz adwords".

If I want to help the initial poster by expressing what I know that is technically correct and that does have the side effect of hurting your feeling, I appologize. I do not know how to be funny enough to avoid this problem.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Thankyou, Adrian.

I have learned to open and use the interface in pursuit of answering questions - indeed it's been an excellent training in where various buttons are hidden. It's also been interesting to see what Google considers necessary (or not!)

However when you say "What is good today can be untrue in 6 months and what is a good advice about AdWords can be a bad advice for AdWords express for example" - that is true of the algorithm only. After all, the algorithm is an artificial construct. When it comes to writing a better ad, getting eyeballs - the things that really spike CTRs - those will be true until that aspect of society changes. And to be honest, careful studies of your analytics will show you how and where it's happening - and continued testing will tell you how you should react. Societies are real and develop organically.