Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

GDN Gmail Ads with Keywords and Interests Targeting

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

can someone please explain to me how exactly Keywords work on Display with Gmail only selected as a placement? 

I have one campaign with about 150 keywords and two interest tests selected but I've only received 24 impressions in the last 4 days. 

My keyword setting is: Audience and my Interests: Target and Bid

Thanks all Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Charlie, 

Sorry your campaign isn't performing as well as you'd hoped. If you selected audience while adding mail.google.com as your placement then your campaign is targeting gmail users that Google thinks might be interested in your ad based on their Internet browsing activity.

There would be quite a few reasons why your gmail ad has had so few impressions over the last 4 days. Your CPC bid is too low, you're targeting too narrow of an audience-layering too many targeting options limits your campaign's reach. 

Make some adjustments to your campaign and see if it resolves your issue. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the reply,

Originally I only selected Keywords and Topics let it run over the weekend with 2 impressions over 3 days. 

Today I removed the Topics and increased the CPC for the keywords to £1. Still, haven't seen any improvement but I will wait 24 hours.

I didn't target Gmail users or select any placement, I've just chosen the Gmail Ad format in the Ad group. Under placements, I can see mail.google.com but the status is "Automatic" which I guess it makes sense as I didn't manually select it. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You have picked too, many keywords: 8-20 would do the job.

Consider tatting by keywords only. I assume that the combination of keywords and topics is too narrow.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: GDN Gmail Ads with Keywords and Interests Targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Charlie, 

If you haven't seen any improvements in your campaign's metrics after implementing these latest changes to your campaign settings, I recommend following the steps outlined in this Google Article to create a new ad group. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

So I removed all topics and left the 103 Kws only. This gave me 23 impressions yesterday which I still think are very low. 

Would limit the Kws to under 20 help? 

I don't usually have issues with display as i only use topics. But at the moment I run 3 Display campaign on Gmail ads through 3 different accounts for a similar thing (holiday destinations). I chose to use KW's as if I only used Topics each account would compete with each other.

Is there another way to do this other than KWs that would give me a better reach?

I am getting fed up with the KWs on Display Smiley Sad 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

20 KWs should be enough to create a theme which is matched to relevant content on web pages.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Ah so all keywords contribute to create a theme? I thought each keyword works individually. Also the match is broad right? So no reason having "holidays to Corsica" and "Holidays in Corsica" for example.

Thanks

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Nope;

All KWs work collectively to create a theme which is then matched to relevant content., hence too many KWsd could "jumble" the system about the  proper theme.   If the ad is clicked  - a leading KW is chosen  to which the click is attributed.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Interesting. I reduced the keywords to 19. Hopefully, this will fix things. I will post an update here tomorrow.

Thanks again.