AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

GDN: Difference between Keyword URL and Image Ad URL?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Dear Community,

Greetings from Berlin!

I'm using the Adwords Editor to create Display campaigns in GDN and I am a bit confused about how the Final URL option under Keywords is different from Final URL option under Text and Image ads.

Now it makes sense to have the option of a Final URL under the Text Ads section - because this will be the URL the user will be taken to if he/she clicks on the Text Ad.

d2.PNG

But what I don't understand is that why do we have the option of a Final URL under the Keywords section as well?

d3.PNG

Will this not lead to conflict if the Final URL in the keyword section is different from the one mentioned in the Text ad section? What is the point of having the option of writing a Final URL in Keywords?

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Shreyans

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ratan-Jha (Top Contributor)
February 2016

Re: GDN: Difference between Keyword URL and Image Ad URL?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Shreyans,

For GDN, the destination URL of the targeting method will be used if you enable custom bids for that targeting method. So, by default since your keywords have no custom bids the Ad's URL is used.
But if you set custom bids to keywords , the keyword that matches the theme and triggers your ad, can have a Destination URL which will be used.
This is the same way you see clicks attributed to your keywords on the GDN.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ratan-Jha (Top Contributor)
February 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Shreyans,

For GDN, the destination URL of the targeting method will be used if you enable custom bids for that targeting method. So, by default since your keywords have no custom bids the Ad's URL is used.
But if you set custom bids to keywords , the keyword that matches the theme and triggers your ad, can have a Destination URL which will be used.
This is the same way you see clicks attributed to your keywords on the GDN.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager

Hi Shreyans,

On the Search Network side of things, setting a Keyword-level Final URL simply allows you to set a more specific landing page for that particular keyword. However, most advertisers find that by having well-structured ad groups and groups of keywords, they don't need keyword-level Final URLs, and the Ad URL will do just fine.

Hope this helps!
Cassie

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you Shweta! This answers my question Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you Cassie! Much appreciated.