AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

GDN: Ad Group Rotation within a Campaign

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey guys,

Are Ad-groups in a campaign given an equal chance to be displayed?

I'm running a GDN Image Ad campaign, where all my adgroups have the same targeting settings. The only difference is that each adgroup contains a different banner. Within each adgroup, the image ads are the same banners with different sizes

So this is what my structure looks like:

Campaign Name: Ads

Adgroups: Black-background Ads, Green-background Ads, White-background Ads

Ad names in Black-background Ads: 160x600, 250x250, 300x600

Ad names in Green-background Ads: 160x600, 250x250, 300x600

Ad names in White-background Ads: 160x600, 250x250, 300x600

Since all the adgroups have the same targeting settings and differ only in the banners, my question is: will Adwords ensure that these ad-groups are evenly rotated or will overtime Adwords will only show Ads from one type of adgroup? I want to ensure that the adgroups are evenly rotated, so I can myself choose which adgroup performs the best. What I don't want is that adwords starts pushing only one type of adgroup more and more.

Thank you Smiley Happy

Best,

Shreyans

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Shreyans J
April 2016

Re: GDN: Ad Group Rotation within a Campaign

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Shreyans,

No, AdWords will not rotate between AdGroups. If your AdGroups are organized by banner size, the ads in the size accepted by the web site will be selected. If you have all sizes in each ad group, the ad with the highest ad rank will show. The DN is a little more complicated in ad rank that on search, but it basically comes out to the same thing. Ad rank = QS * bid. Yes, when you enter the auction for DN placement you have a QS, you just don't ever get to see that. The QS can be different for each web site where your ad might show.

If you are testing color of backgrounds, you should really place all ads in the same ad group with rotation set to even for at least 90 days if not longer.

You might consider reorganizing your ad groups by ad size, or the number of units the ads occupy. One ad unit is the size of a regular text ad. Your ad groups have three different size ads, but you can only have one bid on the DN in the AdGroup. Yes, you can bid higher on keywords, but you can't bid higher for the ad itself. Your bid, in general, needs to be high enough to cover the number or ad units occupied. That means you should be bidding higher for larger banners and less for smaller banners. Splitting your ad groups be ad size helps you place the appropriate bid for that size.

This will also get you a more even distribution of impressions for ads of similar size and should be easier to analyze your results.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Shreyans,

Yes you can select Ad Rotation option from the campaign setting and you ads will serve equally with the Ad Groups. You can select Rotate Evenly or Rotate indefinitely within the campaign setting.

Rotate Evenly - Serve your ads equally till 90 days and then Optimize for clicks (means maximum CTR ads will serve maximum time.

Rotate indefinitely - Serve your ads equally always and you will have to cross check the performance of ads and keep resume and pause according to the performance.

Please go through the links below regarding Ad Rotation Setting
Ad rotation settings - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/112876?hl=en

Thanks,
Anand

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Anand,

Thanks for the reply but it doesn't answer my question. I want to make sure that each ad group gets served evenly, not ads in a particular adgroup,

Best,
Shreyans

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Shreyans,

Serve evenly option is available at Text/Banner Ads Level only. This is not available at Ad Group level.

Thanks,
Anand

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I hope you are trying to test which color combination or messaging is working better..

I don't think its possible with rotation settings.. Since your targeting is same why you use different ad groups? Better you ad all ads in same ad group and set the rotation as rotate evenly in the campaign level. Use lables "black", "white",green" to identify the ads. After few days check the performance report at the ads level and you can understand which color of ads are better performing..

Hope that helps...
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Shreyans J
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Shreyans,

No, AdWords will not rotate between AdGroups. If your AdGroups are organized by banner size, the ads in the size accepted by the web site will be selected. If you have all sizes in each ad group, the ad with the highest ad rank will show. The DN is a little more complicated in ad rank that on search, but it basically comes out to the same thing. Ad rank = QS * bid. Yes, when you enter the auction for DN placement you have a QS, you just don't ever get to see that. The QS can be different for each web site where your ad might show.

If you are testing color of backgrounds, you should really place all ads in the same ad group with rotation set to even for at least 90 days if not longer.

You might consider reorganizing your ad groups by ad size, or the number of units the ads occupy. One ad unit is the size of a regular text ad. Your ad groups have three different size ads, but you can only have one bid on the DN in the AdGroup. Yes, you can bid higher on keywords, but you can't bid higher for the ad itself. Your bid, in general, needs to be high enough to cover the number or ad units occupied. That means you should be bidding higher for larger banners and less for smaller banners. Splitting your ad groups be ad size helps you place the appropriate bid for that size.

This will also get you a more even distribution of impressions for ads of similar size and should be easier to analyze your results.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pete,

That helped me a lot too.. Never came across this concept of number of ad units. I usually put all 19 sizes + 1 text ad in same adgroup, and at the end of the day i see the text ads getting delivered more than 80% of the time. I was looking for a solution for this. And i decided to put text ads in a different ad group and bid low. Now as per you said i think i should put different category of banners (Based in size) in different ad groups.. Its a pain task.. Can we hope Google to let advertisers to bid on ad level??

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Pete,

Thank you for the reply. Like Jithin, I did not know about the concept of ad units. I guess it makes most sense to split adgroups by ad sizes then. Thanks again Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Shreyans J and Jithin C,

It's always a good idea to provide text ads as a fall back. Many sites, like ours, do not accept image ads.

Pete

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi @petebardo ,

Just out of curiosity: how did you find out about the concept of ad units? I haven't come across this explanation anywhere on the internet!

Thanks!

Best,
Shreyans