AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Future of AdWords?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi, I was thinking, most of the young people move from conventional PC's to tablets and smartfones, and soon or later all of them will use virtual reality when it will be wildly available,

I just have that mixed feelings that current Ad system will be not enough in near future. I think, when Google will more advance, progress, there will be no webpages or ecommerce sites at all. People in the search will just ask artificial intelligence and it will tell them what to do, where to buy etc instead of some indexed results based on "SEO" view as we know it today. I can imagine something like it was in the movie "Her" .

Operating system fully capable of thinking and making decision. Maybe Google will be "Her" in near future?

If yes, what do you think how Ads will work in Artifical intelligence behavior environment?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Future of AdWords?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Michal S,

This is a super fun subject to ponder and one that I really enjoy thinking about. I love cognitive computing technologies, which is the foundation to A.I., Virtual Reality, Machine Learning, Driverless Cars, etc.. This is all coming at the advertising world at a pretty fast pace... but slower than it appears on the surface, in my opinion.

A few years ago, it was predicted by most of the leading companies that by 2017, we would see much more of this then what we actually have now or coming in the next 6 months. While we have a lot of home automation products, we really are not seeing the emergence of other items that we need to see in the wild (in use by the public). We need widely-used, perfected, next generation improvements incorporated and then another round of the same until we get to v3 or v4... which is when things will get to be more main stream (again just my opinion).

It was also predicted that, by now, we would be seeing ads on all of our devices, like washing machines, refrigerator, in cars, etc.. and we do not have them really.

So, after a lot of study over the past 10 years or so of cognitive computing technologies, I tend to think we are rather far behind in where we are suppose to be with this. And the lack of security with I.o.T. (Internet of Things) connected devices will slow us down some more or set us rolling in reverse. The same with the automated issues present with automobiles. We are still infants with these things when we need to be entering middle school by now.

With all of that said, we have made some great progress in many respects and not all is off-track. Google is a leader is Machine Learning, which is A.I. for the most part, and it is already heavily incorporated into Google products, including AdWords, Analytics and Search, which is the core elements of digital advertising. This will continue each month with a tiny percent each cycle handed over to it.

I have been using computers since DOS 1.1 sometime around 1983 and building high-end, custom computers since the mid 1990's and have heard again and again about breakthroughs happening soon... which never came to light. I always reflect backwards and remind myself when I hear things today about what is coming. It's coming... but down the road more. What we have today is micro-movements applying cognitive computing technologies to supplement anything and everything we can.

What do we have solidly figured out today? Virtual reality (V.R.). So, we first have to conquer this new digital world with advertising, which will lead us to the next level of breakthroughs. 

Virtual Reality is a  great advancement of technology that will be with us for some time. Once we grasp it and have it with us for a short time, it will give birth to something even more profound.

I think advertising of all sorts can do well with V.R., not just the easy to think about, like auto or home sales. My hope would be that ads for V.R. will embrace the technology and stretch it to the core so that we don't slap a text or banner ad in the corner and call it advertising.

For a total V.R. experience, I think cooperation will be required so that there are many products included within the environment. You create a virtual city where you can... walk down the road and pick up various products, like a coke can, that will take you to that factory for a tour. In the V.R. environment, there would be many products that all had a part of the cost and creation experience so that product placement was natural and fluid to what the activity was.

We go the V.R. beach and there is a scuba lessons stand by PADI, and a booth for Coppertone that presents those products, lessons, tips, factory tours... and a way to purchase the actual products. Apply this thinking to any product, place or service provider. 

VR Advertising Adventurers: 

• A beach-themed adventure would cover any product tied to the water, beach and outdoor fun (surfboards, sunscreen, canopies, swimwear, boats, towels, condo rentals, etc.).   
  • A nightlife-themed adventure would cover any product tied to city nights (concerts, restaurants, night clubs, limo rentals, fashion & clothing, city tours, coffee shops, etc.).
  • A technology-themed adventure would cover any product tied to tech (computers, game consoles, desks, chairs, ergonomics, headphones, networks, VR, AI, drones, software, hardware, etc.) 
  • A Tampa-themed adventure would cover things to do with visiting Tampa, Florida (business tours with coupons you send to your actual email account, tours down roads where certain business, the ones that paid, are highlighted and you could walk in and explore). Expand on this idea and if it is a clothing store, each brand sold could split the cost and be involved: Levis, Kenneth Cole, Guy Harvey, Nike, Guess, J.Crew, Calvin Kline, Polo, etc.. 

The possibilities go on and on and could be quite expansive. My mind is filled with visions of what could be done.

It will be a disruptive technology once it matures a little more. Nothing else can provide such a rich & robust engagement. V.R. is impactful and immersive to the core and will allows advertisers to present a brand in a very memorable way. In just a few minutes, a brand could be presented to a V.R. user dozens of times and in dozens of ways so that it taps into different parts of the brain and really sticks! 

For any advertisers heavily involved with video ads... they should be heavily involved with V.R. ads, too. 

Hope this provides some digital food. You on on the right track to be thinking about the future of AdWords. I hope you remain excited and engaged with your studies of it. I think the vision you have is at least 15+ years down the road... but one that is certainly coming.  

All the Best,

James

Future of AdWords?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

thank you @James_Clemens , myself I cant wait for the future Smiley Happy

Regarding VR, I have a "vision" or imaginations different from VR we can see today with heavy gears on the heads and playing games.

I love watching videos from test drives of fast super cars, engine sounds and accelerations. If I search for Google now, it will give me just text results of some webpages where I can buy that car or more technical details. Its all based on "words". I can only read how great that current car is. I only read what marketing people wrote on their page.

But wouldnt be better Ads based on feelings and immersive experience?

Image this. I will search (somewhere in the future) for best super car, and Ads give me results like feelings, emotions like I was driving that car by myself. Type of Ads from virtual reality that gives me real impressions from driving it. Like in the vivid dreams. 

Or for example, trip to Mongolia or any country that is exotic. Now I can only watch trip movies or read articles. But Ads that gives me "real" experience like Ive been there? That kind of emotions we remember from our past trips, first meetings, I cant remember details but still I can feel if it was good or not that good experience.

And as for search, only thing I would like to see in future A.I. is real searching without coutry and languae barriers, becuase if I search for some things, I still miss most of the informations that are filtered by Google, informations from different countries or languages. Also, today when I "search" for something, its not a real search because I already know the subject. Its still like browsing the results based on things I already partialy know. 

But who knows, as you said, computer progress is not that fast as promised, my grandmother still remember video ads from 60's that people in 2000 will travel to the planets like nothing and robots will do all the work Smiley Happy

Future of AdWords?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Michal S,

You are on it with the immersive V.R. experience. I love how you lay it out and present the advantages of it all, too. 

Yes, search still has room to grow in many ways... and we both know it will happen at some point. While we cannot break out of the barriers we have today (yet), I can suggest that you use the URL search parameter, which will open the world up more to you. 

With the URL parameter you can append to your Google search to return results near a certain location — just add &near=cityname to your search query string, where cityname is your desired locality. Give it a try by pasting this into Google search: Food&near=tokyo 

That is really great that your Grandmother shared that memory with you. Hold on to it... because it will guide you will when you hype of all type. Time is funny thing and it ticks at its own pace. She is right, too, that we were suppose to have those things sixteen years ago... but here we are fighting traffic in our wheeled-vehicles.

I think we will have computers, laptops and connected devices likes there for a really long time, and while search engines will evolve, they will still be serving up data... and where there is data being searched, we will have paid advertising. You will be positioned greatly by riding this whole journey out and paying attention to it. The force is strong with you... stay sharp, my friend.

Kind Regards,

James