Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Frustration with demographic targeting

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Super frustrated - am trying to target certain age groups and the only option I get under the drop down exclusions for all three, Add targeting, Add group exclusions, and Campaign exclusions is remarketing (see below image) - My campaign type is Search Network with Display Select and subtype is All features.  According to tutorials, I should be able to do this.  And yes, I have selected an add group.

target.jpg

Appreciate help.  I used to be able to do this easily.

Gloria

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Frustration with demographic targeting

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I should check, but you can use this option only to visitors that are in remarketing campaign. When they visit your site, you (google) leaves cookie and you know some additional info as age or gender. Then you can target age groups.

Or you didn`t add updated Analytics code to page.
Regards.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Gloria,

Since your campaign is not "Display Network Only" Demographics targeting is not available. Your campaign is Search and Display Select. 

You mentioned "According to tutorials, I should be able to do this. " Can you share a link to this tutorial ?

Analytics audiences cannot be used for remarketing in Search

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

From the doc: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2580383?hl=en

Keep in mind

To start using demographic targeting, you'll need to have one of these campaign types selected:

• "Search & Display Networks - All features"
  • "Display Network only - All features"

If you have a different campaign type, you won't be able to target your ads based on age and gender. Learn about the different campaign types available.

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
Hi Gloria

If a campaign is set to Search Network with Display Select- All Features, in the display network tab you should only have two options for display network targeting: display keywords and placements 

Age, gender, interests, topics are all not available with search network with display select campaigns. 

Thank you for pointing out that Help Center article. I am going to pass along this feedback.