Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Freezing During Ad Group Creation

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Greetings,

I have run into a very frustrating issue recently. Creating successive ad groups makes AdWords lock up. I use FF 23, but I've tried with IE10 and Chrome. Addons disabled, addons uninstalled, rolled back version of FF, cleared cache/cookies, the list goes on... Not a browser issue. Tried different computers in the office, different operating systems. I also tried on my home computer. It's happening to people in our satellite office, which is in a different country.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Click 'New Ad Group' button
  2. Name ad group (text is irrelevant)
  3. Create ad (text is irrelevant)
  4. Add keyword (text is irrelevant)
  5. Save
  6. Repeat 1-5

Alternatively, you can just cancel making the ad group. Click the button to make a new ad group and immediately cancel. Each successive time it takes longer to open the page, edit the textboxes, and save. Eventually it will become totally unresponsive, and crash the browser. Every browser.

I cannot be sure exactly when this started.

Has this happened to anyone else? I looked around, but I did not see anything I thought was relevant.

If you think it would be helpful, I will make a video to demonstrate the issue and slap it on YT.

Thank you for your help!

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Freezing During Ad Group Creation

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Geromy ! Welcome to the AdWords Community !

It is hard for users who do not have access to your account to replicate this issue. Your best choice would be to give google a call for the free assistance they provide and perhaps return here to write the solution for others to see.

Here is the contact data

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/8206?hl=en&hlrm=en

My blind guess would be that there is something happening at the network level, are all your other browsing activities going on fast enough ? Do you have a new firewall installed ? If you try to browse reports in the Google analytics interface things also happen in the same slow manner ?

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Thank you sir for your quick response. I will give them a call. The issue I am having is not network related. The problem is that the browser actually crashes. CPU usage spikes, the page dims and then the browser crashes. Occasionally FF will warn me that there is an unresponsive script, but then crashes.

I have considered the possibility of something third party that all the computers I have access to have in common, like javascript misbehaving, but only because of an update to the programming behind the AdWords site itself. All of them have different versions of everything.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
Can you try logging in from a different machine ? From my account nothing like this happens.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Adrian - he already tried this: "Tried different computers in the office, different operating systems. I also tried on my home computer. It's happening to people in our satellite office, which is in a different country."

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
I mean like a tablet from home, something isolated from their office network structure. I can only respond that it is not happening to my account, but this does not help him much.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hello ;
I heard this complaint today by a few (on another forum) ; but they specifically referred to Chrome;
Try to delete cookies and clear cache. That might help. Otherwise ,we will have to monitor and see if other users also complain. If other users do, we will refer the case to Google to investigate.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

Here's a video I made on my home computer showcasing the issue. I ran into the issue in my office yesterday.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hello again;

To me it looks as a memory resources (exhausted)  issue in your machine.

• How many tabs do you have open simultaneously ?
  • In the windows task  management console check how much memory is used.

PS: what tool do you use for recording a video?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

If you switch youtube to Full-Hd video play you can see that the memory on his machine is 8 Gb and it only uses 20 % from it also the CPU spikes from 13 % to 25 % every time he clicks the "new ad group" button. In my opinion his resources are more than ok to handle any web page .

When a browser renders a web page it reads the HTML from top to bottom. When it encounters a <script> tag it will stop from rendering the rest of the page until it is executed. However Google with access to your account can debug this.

P.S. : this amount of RAM can be activated only on 64-bit operating systems , one more reason why his computer should be running smoothly.