Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Formula for calculation Ad Rank from Quality Score and Bid

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi folks,

Is this formula disclosed to public? I couldn't find info about it in AdWords support. Some other sources stated that Ad Rank = Quality Score x Bid. But this official Google video

shows that this isn't correct formula.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Александр В
August 2016

Re: Formula for calculation Ad Rank from Quality Score and Bid

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Howdy!

A few years ago, Google introduced a new component of ad rank that looks at the "expected impact of your ad extensions and formats". This way, if advertisers have the same bid and the same ad quality, Google can then compare which advertiser has a more effective set of extensions and formats.

To your point, Ad Rank = Bid * Quality Score is outdated and too general nowadays. I do not believe they reveal any specific mathematical formula behind the calculation of the extensions; only a few general points that are considered. See https://adwords.googleblog.com/2013/10/improving-ad-rank.html

Hope this helps-

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Александр В
August 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Howdy!

A few years ago, Google introduced a new component of ad rank that looks at the "expected impact of your ad extensions and formats". This way, if advertisers have the same bid and the same ad quality, Google can then compare which advertiser has a more effective set of extensions and formats.

To your point, Ad Rank = Bid * Quality Score is outdated and too general nowadays. I do not believe they reveal any specific mathematical formula behind the calculation of the extensions; only a few general points that are considered. See https://adwords.googleblog.com/2013/10/improving-ad-rank.html

Hope this helps-

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Александр В,

You may find this search engine land article helpful as it reverse engineers the quality score by aggregating the quality score of many keywords

link: http://searchengineland.com/reverse-engineering-adwords-quality-score-factors-244192

The formula is simply: 1 + Landing Page Experience weight + Ad Relevance weight + CTR weight.

For instance, let’s say you have these factors:

Landing Page Experience: average — 1.75 points
Ad Relevance: above average — 2 points
CTR: average — 1.75 points
Then your Quality Score is: 1 + 1.75 (LPE) + 2 (Relevance) + 1.75 (CTR) = 6.5. As Google doesn’t show fractions, this is rounded to a 7, which is seen inside your account.

If this helps, please select best answer below.

Nick

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you, Nick, that's interesting.
But I was asking about formula of Ad Rank.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Александр В,

Ad rank is simply quality score x bid. Thus, the answer I provided above is multiplied by the max cpc bid, so that you only pay as much as necessary to beat your next lowest competitor.

The formula is mostly dependent on how well your quality score is as outlined above.

Best,

Nick

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi,

This new formula for ad Rank is already available in Google's official Documents.

Please go through this link: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1752122?hl=en

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Well, because of the official video that I provided, either you're wrong with formula quality score x bid or numbers in video are wrong. Please watch it.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Well, there is no formula in article you provided, there just words of what it consist of.
The video there is the same that i provided.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ad Rank = Quality Score x Bid + Ad Extensions