AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Fluctuating Monthly Budget

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was recently advised that I should not fluctuate my monthly budget. For example, I would like to have October and November be $700 per month, December and January $500 per month, etc. Can somebody explain why this is a bad practice to partake in?

2 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Erik W;

Who gave you this advice?

What was the reason given?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Fluctuating Monthly Budget

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Erik W,

I concur with @MosheTLV's curiosity because it seems a pretty bad advice. Your monthly spend in fact should be in line with your business objectives and the opportunities you can identify on AdWords. I have never heard of a principle that could overwrite the above said.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The advice was given by a marketing company that would handle the SEM, and the reason given was that fluctuating budgets saw the leads decrease. This company pitches the product as lead based, and gives an estimated amount of leads based on budget size. I was told that we may not hit those lead targets if we have differing budgets month to month--is this accurate? 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Negative, it is not. Feels like sales talk.

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Hello Erik W

I can understand what the marketing company is saying to you "they may not hit those lead targets" but that is based on what their goals for YOU are. Not YOUR business goals. you should always keep in mind that you know your business better than they do and if you feel that December and January is a slower month for you then there is no issue in spending less that month. 

I agree with Lakatos, Feels like sales talk.