5.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Flexible reach set automatically

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello guys, I got really annoying problem and I'm not sure if i'm missing something or there are some changes lately. So, I would like to use Specific or Broad reach for my display campaign but even when I choose display network only, all features, there is automatically Flexible reach set. 

So my networks tab says this:

Google Display Network

Your targeting is now set for each of your ad groups in this campaign. Learn more

And the only thing I can click on is this Learn more link. 

Now, I have one old campaign that I set up before flexible reach was available and with that one, I can change reach type. And with newer campaigns I couldn't do that. I tried editing settings on campaigns that already use flexible reach and I tried creating completely new campaigns on multiple accounts and I can't seem to find option to change reach into Specific or Broad. 

What frustrates me the most is that I can't find anybody who has same problem as me so I'm probably missing something. Do you have any ideas?

Thank you Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Zsel
September 2015

Re: Flexible reach set automatically

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Don't feel stupid! I have to admit it can get confusing, especially as different names / terms are given when the settings change slightly. 

If you go to an ad group now and then select the Display Network tab and from there you will see a green button which reads + Change display targeting. After clicking this you are given a list of different targeting methods which can be applied to the display network, hit Edit next to the one(s) you wish to change into Broad or Specific reach and at the bottom of the outlined box you will notice a message with another Edit button next to it. It is here where you are given two options for each targeting option which are basically your Broad or Specific reach settings; so for Topics for example I can either select "Show ads only on pages about these topics" which is basically your Specific reach or "Show ads on pages about all eligible topics" which is the equivalent of your Broad reach.

There is no need to create multiple ad groups as you can select which targeting methods you wish to run within the same ad group and even control whether you want that particular method to be 'Broad' or 'Specific' again within the same ad group.

I hope that clarifies things but if not then please let me know and I will attempt to simplify things with screenshots for you.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Zsel, 

Welcome to the community.

Unforunately once Flexible Reach has been set then there is no going back, in your case it was already set as that by default as I imagine you created the campaign recently (after September). If you want to retain your current settings on the old campaign you mention then you have to be careful you don't change the targeting settings there.

It shouldn't be too much of a problem though as it is basically just splitting your setting control to an ad group level rather than campaign. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Scott, thank you for such a fast response Smiley Happy

I know I can't change settings back to specific or broad once I choose flexible reach and that is not the problem here. My problem is with completely new campaigns. Flexible reach is set automatically and nowhere on the screen I can even find words "specific" or "broad".

Is it possible that once you select flexible reach for one display campaign, all following display campaigns are automatically set to flexible reach?

Otherwise, I'm probably missing some clickable part of setup form. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Zsel,

It is actually a new introduction where any new campaigns created any time during or after September are automatically set on Flexible Reach without the ability to select the other two options. You can see the quote here:

"Starting in September, all new Display Network campaigns will have the "Flexible reach" setting selected by default."

This also means that if the campaigns starts with Flexible Reach in default then the rule about not being able to revert back to specific or broad also applies.

I imagine it's a motive by Google to encourage advertisers to take more control of their account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thx Scott, 

I feel stupid :/ Since that is the case I hope I'm not bothering too much but I have follow up question. Tell me if I understand this correctly. 

I can achieve Broad reach by separating targeting methods into different ad groups. So if I want my my ads targeted by context or topic I must create two different adgroups. And by that, I achieved broad reach. 

I can achieve Specific reach by "narrowing my targeting further" option. By that, I achieved specific reach in one ad group. 

Is there any other way or this is how google intended it to be?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Zsel
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Don't feel stupid! I have to admit it can get confusing, especially as different names / terms are given when the settings change slightly. 

If you go to an ad group now and then select the Display Network tab and from there you will see a green button which reads + Change display targeting. After clicking this you are given a list of different targeting methods which can be applied to the display network, hit Edit next to the one(s) you wish to change into Broad or Specific reach and at the bottom of the outlined box you will notice a message with another Edit button next to it. It is here where you are given two options for each targeting option which are basically your Broad or Specific reach settings; so for Topics for example I can either select "Show ads only on pages about these topics" which is basically your Specific reach or "Show ads on pages about all eligible topics" which is the equivalent of your Broad reach.

There is no need to create multiple ad groups as you can select which targeting methods you wish to run within the same ad group and even control whether you want that particular method to be 'Broad' or 'Specific' again within the same ad group.

I hope that clarifies things but if not then please let me know and I will attempt to simplify things with screenshots for you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Scott. I get it now and actually think this is a good change Smiley Happy Cheers

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
I'm glad I could help and that you like it Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Scott, this really helped me out too!