AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Flash vs Gif hierarchy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello

I have a campaign in which I want to use both Flash banners and GIF banners. The reason for this is, that not alle users can view Flash banners, so in order not to loose impressions, I want to use GIF as replacement banners every time a Flash banner can't be viewed by the user.

My question is: Is this even possible? Will Google automaticly know that they will have to show the Flash banner before the GIF banner? In other words, what is the hierarchy between the two types of files?

I hope it makes sense :-)

Regards

Søren Jensen

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author somujen
September 2015

Re: Flash vs Gif hierarchy

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello somujen;

AdWords system "does not favor one ad format over the other" . All "play by the same rules"

All browsers support Flash. Your argument is valid only on mobile campaigns where iPhones do not support Flash. (But, I understood from your question that this is not the issue in question.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author somujen
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello somujen;

AdWords system "does not favor one ad format over the other" . All "play by the same rules"

All browsers support Flash. Your argument is valid only on mobile campaigns where iPhones do not support Flash. (But, I understood from your question that this is not the issue in question.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi somujen, further to Moshe's reply, I'd make it even simpler.  If you have a GIF version that does what you want as well as the Flash version, why not just always use the GIF and avoid any problems altogether?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your reply MosheTLV :-)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon.

I want to make a test period, where I will use Flash banners for some time, in order to see if the CTR will increase, as Flash banners have some advantages over GIF in terms of animation. But I will not risk losing impressions in that period, which I will if my users can't see Flash banners and I don't have any GIF banners as backup.

Regards