2.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

First Time Campaign Issues

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, this is my first time developing and running a PPC campaign. Since this was used as training they gave me a client with a very mall budget, I'm talking $13/day $400 for the month ($100 of that is a coupon). I set everything up and it went live today. right off the bat all my keyword didn't have a high enough bid, even though I based it on what keyword planner recommended. Now I adjusted those to the newly recommended ones and I am now getting a message that reads "We're only showing your ad occasionally because of your budget".  I have zero impressions for the day so far on any keywords, let a lone clicks so my budget hasn't been used.  All ads are approved and keywords marked as eligible. So I have 2 question

1) what can I do to start getting at least impressions or when can I start to expect them

2) if a daily budget wasn't used in a day, will Google save it and use it the next day? 

Thanks, Mary

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mary H
October 2016

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

First of all, don't take the keyword planner or any other estimate tools on faith. Start with an automated bid strategy of maximize clicks. Set your daily budget at $13/day. Then, yes, Google will spend up to 20% over or under per day to maintain your daily budget over the course of 30 days.

It can take up to 72 hours to get ads approved. So double check the ads tab, and enable the policy details column. Make sure ads are eligible and approved.

Are you targeting search networks only, or the default search networks with display select?

Tom

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mary H
October 2016

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

First of all, don't take the keyword planner or any other estimate tools on faith. Start with an automated bid strategy of maximize clicks. Set your daily budget at $13/day. Then, yes, Google will spend up to 20% over or under per day to maintain your daily budget over the course of 30 days.

It can take up to 72 hours to get ads approved. So double check the ads tab, and enable the policy details column. Make sure ads are eligible and approved.

Are you targeting search networks only, or the default search networks with display select?

Tom

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Also, keep in mind that that Keyword Planner is very generalised, and historically based. Current competitor bidding, match type and your Quality Score can affect the minimum first page bids significantly.

If your keywords are broads, the minimum first page bid is to cover all possible searches, while a lower bid might still have your ads showing for most searches.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

1)  It seems we have the same problem, but I managed to have many impressions. I take $2 a day but my keywords were broad enough that google agreed to take my suggested bid.

Sample:
ELearning <- Google asked for more bid
ELearning Platform USA <- Google accepted my bid

2) And yes.. Google will at least save your 5% - 30%  daily budget for the next day.

I hope it helps

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

hi 

One way you can try to get imressions is by increasing your CPC bid to something close to the page bidding. if it doesnt work then increase your daily budget but reduce the number of days you expect your ad to run. 

regards,

Zaby

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I did try using automated bidding with one ad group just to see what happened and it set my auto bid to $.01? Does it take a while for automated bidding to set in as well? I checked the campaign just now and it is actually getting some traction now so I'm not panicing as much. 

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

Hi Mary,

Yes, it will get adjusted automatically. Might be the bids are no more displaying as $0.01 now.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’