Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

First Campaign stuck on Standard text ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good day,

I am new in Google Adwords and trying to set up First Campaign. When I type in the advert info as per fields provided, I get a message: "Creation of standard text ads is no longer supported in AdWords. Use expanded text ads or responsive ads instead". There is no button where I have the option to switch to Expanded text ads. 

Seems stuck in this page and I cannot go any further. Also, I cannot use Keyword manager for this first campaign, so it shows the ones I put in that I can expect "0+ clicks". There is no way it allows me to search for industry keywords - as this is a first campaign.

Please could someone assist? May thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out.

As of January 31, 2017, you’ll only be able to create and edit text ads using the expanded text ad format. You can read more about the update here. I recommend using the instructions here to create your expanded text ads. 

Your estimated impressions take your bid, budget, and historical ad quality into account and your search volume is determined only for exact keyword matches. It is possible that your keywords have "low search volume" and are not searched as often. I recommend trying broader keywords. 

If you are still having trouble, I recommend getting in touch with the AdWords team. They will be able to look into your account and help identify the problem. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tina,

Thank you for your prompt response. I read all about the expanded text prior to posting this query. The issue is not that I don't know how to do it, but rather that the page offers predefined fields, and only for a text ad. There is no option on the page to change to expanded text. I have the same issue which others on this forum have where one cannot see the full AdWord Dashboard nor the Keyword manager until they do their "First Campaign". I am really trying to get past this "First Campaign" page so that I can see and use the full functionality of AdWords!

What I want to advertise is very specific - a Lighting Designer Contest. I do not want to enter keywords that are irrelevant. 

Please can you supply an email address of the AdWords team for technical support.

Much appreciated!