AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Finding the Right Ad Size For a Specific Site

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

New user here. I created an image ad that I want to run anywhere on a specific site, namely fimfiction.net. There seems to be only one ad size there, measured at about 910x110. I don't see anything quite like that on the list of Google ad sizes. I created an image ad that's 980x120, my best guess. It looks like that ad is not running at all, which I figure is partly due to my bid (which I've now raised to $0.20) and the image not being the one exact size that the site runs.

My question: How do I determine what ad size I really need for that site, to be sure that it's not being omitted because of its size?

FYI: I have a campaign where under "Placements" I have an entry for "fimfiction.net", status Managed, bid $0.20, green dot for enabled. 0 placements since I started it a few days ago. Under the Ads tab I have one text ad (which I was forced to create as a new user) and the image ad (which I want).

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kris S
June 2017

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Kris,

Just get rid of keyword targeting and use placement as your targeting. That should get things going.

Kind Regards,

James

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Kris,

I went to the website you mentioned and saved some of the long narrow horizontal ads and they were the standard 728X90 size. The square ads in the upper right hand corner are the standard 300X250 size. 

If you make some ads in those sizes and add them to the ad group with the placement targeting, you should be good to go.

Kind Regards,

James 

Re: Finding the Right Ad Size For a Specific Site

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks! That looks like it should work... I've been waiting to see if my ad will start appearing, but so far it's still getting 0 impressions even with a bid of $0.20/click. I've upped that to $0.30 to see what happens... nah, let's make that $0.35 as a test.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Very welcome. 

Hope you start having impressions soon.

Cheers,

James

Re: Finding the Right Ad Size For a Specific Site

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Nope, something is still wrong. Zero impressions for the image ads even though I made them the sizes above and raised the bid to 35 cents, and even though it's a popular enough site that people have visited it in between. Maybe the ad is refusing to show unless there's a search for a specific term (I used the keyword "fimficiton" after the site itself), when all I want to do is show the ad anywhere on the site?

Edit: The ad manager says "Showing ads right now? NO." With no explanation. The "Display Network" tab says, "Your keyword, combined with other targeting in your ad group, matches very few pages on the Display Network." But I don't care about keywords, since I want my image ad to show up anywhere on the site and not in response to some specific search. What do I have to do to say "just put this image up whenever someone is browsing this site"?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kris S
June 2017

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Kris,

Just get rid of keyword targeting and use placement as your targeting. That should get things going.

Kind Regards,

James