AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Final url - ad sending to alternate webpage :( :(

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Okay, here is my predicament and I am HOPING it is something easy to fix (a setting or something I messed up).  So, I have an ad with a specific personalized landing/final url that I want my customers to land on....so I get credit for the sale. BUT, now if someone clicks on my search ad, it takes them to the home office page...not my specific page.  Now, here is the odd part...if someone just types in my website address...it goes to my page just fine.  I apparently have messed up something that causes it to redirect in the ad....ideas?????

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Diane G
October 2015

Re: Final url - ad sending to alternate webpage :( :(

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Oh, wait... you mention that you want to get credit for the sale... that suggests you are an affiliate - correct? It could be that you have auto-tagging enabled which is interfering with the tagging that your personalised url is adding. This could be confusing the server so it defaults to the home page... see what happens if you disable autotagging.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Diane,

Hard to say, it could be a number of things. What I would try first is to ensure you've entered your URL correctly. Copy it from the ad (or click on the ad in the URL) to see which page resolves after the click. Depending on your server settings, a number of behaviors could occur with even the slightest error in a URL.

You could also double check to see if you have any keyword level URLs that could be overriding your ad URLs.

One other thought it to check and see if you set up any tracking templates anywhere that could be altering your Final URLs.

Ultimately, typing in the URL directly into the browser and having it work is a positive sign, now you need to find the disconnect. It's likely somewhere in your account.

Just a few initial thoughts/areas for consideration for you.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, Tommy,

Any suggestions at this point is helpful! Yes, I insured that my URL is exact...as it is my personalized link and I cut and pasted it from my website.

I am not sure I completely understand how to check your 2nd suggestion of "You could also double check to see if you have any keyword level URLs that could be overriding your ad URLs" but that would be worth it if I knew how.

Also, I have no idea how to use the tracking templates so I am fairly certain it is not that one.

I'm going to keep trying to plug away at it...like you say, it is most likely somewhere in my account....
Diane

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Did you ever set up any Google Content Management experiments? These may still be triggering...
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Diane G
October 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Oh, wait... you mention that you want to get credit for the sale... that suggests you are an affiliate - correct? It could be that you have auto-tagging enabled which is interfering with the tagging that your personalised url is adding. This could be confusing the server so it defaults to the home page... see what happens if you disable autotagging.