AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Final URL error

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

After seeing the analytics report I was wondering why there's no behaviour information for paid traffic, so I decided to check by clicking on 1 ad and it brought me to 404 error page. I found it strange because the final URL that I clicked on was slightly different from the one I set in the ad (for instance I set example.com/tour but it brought me to example.com/tour?gclid=Cj0KEQjw09C5BRDy...). Could someone tell me what's the problem and how I can fix it? The URL I set in ad has no error, I still can visit it.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Rakesh Kumar (Top Contributor)
May 2016

Re: Final URL error

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Phuong Anh B,

Some web sites are configured not to accept "arbitrary" parameters in the query string. That's probably what's going on here. This is a problem for your webmaster to straighten out and allow the gclid parameter in the query string.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Phuong,

The character after the ? is a GCLID, which comes, when your Google Analaytics account with Google AdWords, and it does not impact the webpage. It should work perfectly fine.

It seems that your landing page "example.com/tour " has some problem. Please check your original URL.

[Edited: Copy the landing URL of your ad into your browser and add the following test parameter to it without pressing enter:?gclid=test1234 and see weather, it works or not]

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks for your reply! I just copied it..nothing happened, but when I entered, it didn't work

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Rakesh Kumar (Top Contributor)
May 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Phuong Anh B,

Some web sites are configured not to accept "arbitrary" parameters in the query string. That's probably what's going on here. This is a problem for your webmaster to straighten out and allow the gclid parameter in the query string.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords