6.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Final URL error

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

After seeing the analytics report I was wondering why there's no behaviour information for paid traffic, so I decided to check by clicking on 1 ad and it brought me to 404 error page. I found it strange because the final URL that I clicked on was slightly different from the one I set in the ad (for instance I set example.com/tour but it brought me to example.com/tour?gclid=Cj0KEQjw09C5BRDy...). Could someone tell me what's the problem and how I can fix it? The URL I set in ad has no error, I still can visit it.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Rakesh Kumar (Top Contributor)
May 2016

Re: Final URL error

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Phuong Anh B,

Some web sites are configured not to accept "arbitrary" parameters in the query string. That's probably what's going on here. This is a problem for your webmaster to straighten out and allow the gclid parameter in the query string.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Phuong,

The character after the ? is a GCLID, which comes, when your Google Analaytics account with Google AdWords, and it does not impact the webpage. It should work perfectly fine.

It seems that your landing page "example.com/tour " has some problem. Please check your original URL.

[Edited: Copy the landing URL of your ad into your browser and add the following test parameter to it without pressing enter:?gclid=test1234 and see weather, it works or not]

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks for your reply! I just copied it..nothing happened, but when I entered, it didn't work

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Rakesh Kumar (Top Contributor)
May 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Phuong Anh B,

Some web sites are configured not to accept "arbitrary" parameters in the query string. That's probably what's going on here. This is a problem for your webmaster to straighten out and allow the gclid parameter in the query string.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords